Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
saw the Kickstarter trailer and page:

95231_01_retro-gaming-watch-is-new-smartwatch-that-flips-open-to-deliver-classic-goodness.jpg

Finally, lets get to some of the technical details:

• The main processor: Renesas / Dialog DA14706 with 1.5MB of internal ram, 8MB of external QSPI Ram, ARM-M33 application processor at a scalable speed of 32Khz to 160Mhz, dual ARM M0 processors for handling sensors and BLE, 2D GPU that supports most bit blit operations. 3 high speed Flash/ram qspi interfaces for fpga interconnect, memory mapped psram, and flash. This CPU was made for this!
  • Efinix T20 FPGA with ~20Kb logic elements and ~1000Kb of ram...more than enough to match any 16 bit console in the 90s and maybe even push us to the first 3D generation.
  • Magnetometer, accelerometer, audio amplifier + speaker (mono), notification buzzer, light sensor, custom 60Hz 320x320 pixel LCD for gaming (1.54", I know...its small...but come on, its a watch!), external display for watch functions...like telling time! 4 action buttons + dpad
  • Some optional items we are considering but really depends on scale of our sales: Heart Rate Monitor, micro SD card, camera, shoulder buttons
    So...where are we in this process?
  • We have a miniaturized proof of concept capable of doing most of the normal smart watch things as well as being a monster video game machine that will rival anything from the DOS and 16 bit console area....and allow for cycle accurate hardware assisted emulation of existing older systems!
  • Feasibility is complete. We have built it, it works.
  • Case design is in the general direction we want it to be in. Final material and finish will depend a lot on the success of the campaign. If we just barely fund we will probably be doing 3D printed cases, if we hit 500 units we will do injection molding, if we are in the thousands we will be looking at stamped/machined steel.
  • Software proof of concepts are complete (FPGA, mcu, peripheral bring up, basic emulation and gaming demos)

I like the design of this retro gaming watch which looks fun to play with. It reminds me of the Gameboy.

Reactions: cm2
Its a neat concept but I cant see many people outside of the ones who back this playing it.

It would be nice if it was easily possible to connect this Gaming Watch to a TV to play retro games on a bigger screen.

It would be nice if it was easily possible to connect this Gaming Watch to a TV to play retro games on a bigger screen.

you just get a retro console if thats the case lol

How does it stay on the wrist? It looks like it would fall off. Wouldn't the magnet idea make this unfeasible with it being electronic? It looks impractical unless you are a kid. However, I could see it falling off and the kid would lose it. Those transitions looked cheap and I swear AI did some of those images. I don't know if I can trust this idea.

Back