Rumors suggest Amazon.com's game console project is still alive, will cost under $300

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
 VG 24/7 is reporting that the company is still working on an Android games console that'll retail for "below $300." Based on gossip from game publishers, the latest indication is that Amazon's product team, Lab 126, has designed a grey oblong similar in size to the PSOne, designed to play both games and Instant Video / Lovefilm content to your HDTV. 

Read More

This is good news for mobile gamers who have a mobile Android game app collection, and want a powerful Android TV console to play Android games on their TV, or Monitor.

If the Amazon console uses the latest Nvidia K1 mobile CPU/Video chip, has a larger SSD storage drive like 250GB SSD, and 8GBs of RAM, $300 or less would be a fair price for an Android console.

I wonder if can it be modified to run a Linux operating system like Ubuntu, Steam OS, and Linux Mint to turn it into an affordable $300 Linux PC like how hackers hack the Kindle Fire to install Android, and other operating systems on it to use it as a non-Amazon tablet with a clean version of Android.

I read something though that google might be making Android more restricting or not as open, I wonder if now is a good time for Android devices?

There are many free custom versions of Android like Cyanogenmod, Ubuntu for Android, and Replicant which is open source/free according to Reddit .

Amazon will most likely use a modified version of Android like Android on the Kindle Fire which does not come bundle with the typical Android Apps like YouTube, Gmail, and Google Search, Google Play, but the Kindle Fire comes with Amazon Apps like the Amazon App Store, Kindle, and Amazon Prime . The Kindle Fire also uses a custom dark desktop with big icon shortcuts to apps, and games instead of the regular Android desktop which uses smaller icons, and has a wall paper image as the background.

I think it still is a good time to use Android on devices since it is cheaper and more open than using Windows. Plus, there are already thousands of good apps, and games made to work with Android, so users will have a lot of apps, and games which they can already use and play on their many Android devices instead of being stuck only playing their games, and apps on one device like their PC, console, hand held because the OS is only available for one device. Android works on PC, Console, phones, and tablets, so users can use their apps, and games on all their Android devices.

I also read the same news that Amazon is buying game studios. I think Amazon will come out with a game console, or be like Steambox where many console companies make consoles with their operating system on it which can access their online app store.

It's good to hear that it would be a size of a Playstation 1 which could mean the Amazon console would be more powerful than other mini consoles like the Gamestick, Ouya, and Mojo which are currently on sale.

Back