Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
qaNfDev.jpg

Yes, there have been USB-powered hard drives in the past such as this particular model from Verbatim, but how many of them are able to measure up to what Seagate is offering? The Seagate Innov8 boasts of being the first USB-powered desktop hard drive in the world that comes with a whopping 8TB of storage space, now top that!

Sporting various advancements in USB 3.1 technology in order to deliver speedy data transfer speeds, the Seagate Innov8 will boast of its very own (and new) Ignition Boost Technology, which allows this 8TB desktop hard drive to rely fully on a USB outlet rather than having it hooked up to a power outlet. Ignition Boost, when working alongside USB 3.1, would allow the Innov8 to thrive off bus power without the need for a dedicated power source or adapter.

Read More

Wow, 8TB of storage space. I like that this hard drive does not need an extra power adapter, and can run off of a USB 3.1 port.

I like the design of the hard drive wiith its black and gray case.

Technology is getting impressive and impressive by the year. What us the size of the case? Will it be small to put in my back pocket, and probably be very expensive as always

Technology is getting impressive and impressive by the year. What us the size of the case? Will it be small to put in my back pocket, and probably be very expensive as always

I think this hard drive would be about the same size as other desktop based external hard drive, so you probably can't put it in your back pocket. You would need a separate bag to carry this hard drive.

Sw9OTTl.jpg

It cost $349 according to Seagate's InnoV8 press release at http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/about-seagate/news/seagate-launches-worlds-first-usb-powered-master-pr/

I just bought a 1 TB backup storage device and I barely used 20 percent with my PC back up. What would I do with 8 TB? Who on a public market could possibly use 8 TB?

I agree few people would need 8TB of space. This hard drive can be useful for rich people who have a large home with a security system with many video cameras which are always recording HD video.

That's definitely big, and heavy and blocky. Damn. Aren't potable if you need to use two heads to carry it. Price probably just around the right mark, I thought it be around $800 mark but no. Still I rather get a 1tb drive that smaller.

That's definitely big, and heavy and blocky. Damn. Aren't potable if you need to use two heads to carry it. Price probably just around the right mark, I thought it be around $800 mark but no. Still I rather get a 1tb drive that smaller.

This external hard drive does not look too big to heavy if you wear a trench coat, or hoodie with a big front pocket.

This hard drive maybe faster than most external hard drives because it uses USB 3.1 instead of the older USB 3.0 and 2.0 versions of USB which are slower.

Still looks heavyweight

Who needs 8TB?

Anyone who plans on dealing with 4K video. Seriously that stuff is massive in size. Even 1080p can still be pretty massive and eat through space in a hurry. Admittedly full 4K integration is still a ways off, but make no mistake it is coming. Netflix has a 4K section already. (Though not many titles yet. Plus you need a 4K TV/Monitor to view it properly.) But in a few years it'll likely be the standard.

Technically that achieves 16TB because it uses four 4TB drives in one enclosure under a raid 5 configuration. (Each drive has only part of the info so if anything ever happened to one drive it could be rebuilt from the data on the others.)

The other reason this drive is kinda different is because it draws power from the USB. Unlike most large capacity drives which need to be plugged into the wall themselves.

Another reason it's different is that it costs about a quarter the price ($350 vs $1400) and offers half the space. (So technically you could buy two 8TB drives for half the cost of that drive and still get the same amount of storage space.)

I'm confused. How is 8 TB impressive when there have been 16 TB hard drives since 2012...?

http://www.amazon.com/MODEL-LaCie-Quadra-External-9000330U/dp/B00AJJIVPI

This hard drive is smaller in size, and does not require a separate power adapter. The hard drive you linked to has 4 internal hard drive instead of 1. It also uses more electricity.

I remember watching a video on YouTube which says hard drives which have a higher data capacity like 8TB can access files faster because the read and write head does not move as much when opening a file on a drive with a high data capacity.

This hard drive probably does not get fragmented as much. Users are less likely to run low on free space, so there will usually be 20% free space to properly defragment this hard drive. I think you need at least 20 % free space to properly defragment the hard drive.

This hard drive probably use less electricity when in off mode because it does not have a power adapter which sometimes use a little power even when the hard drive is off. Not having a power adapter could also make this drive more reliable because sometimes power adapters for external desktop hard drives can break, or get lost which means you can't turn on your hard drive anymore until you get a new power adapter.

Question is around here that has anyone brought one?

To be honest, I've never heard of external hard drives that required power adapters. The ones I have had so far only had an USB cable..

The bigger sized external hard drive which uses 3.5 inch desktop internal hard drive require power adapters. But, if you use smaller external hard drive which use 2.5 inch internal hard drive made mostly for laptops, you would not need an external power adapter.

Back