sell or give away your computer before?

No, Never done it before.

I donated a few really old computer from the 90s to a computer recycler.

Most good computer recyclers wipe data off a drive a few times, so it is harder to almost impossible to recover.

You can use programs like DBAN to wipe your hard drives multiple times to make the data almost impossible to recover, or just just donate the computer without the hard drive, and use your old hard drive as a secondary hard drive in a desktop computer, or inside a USB hard drive enclousure which you can buy from eBay for a few dollars.

Nope i always keep all my old junks hoping it will help me in the future :grin:

I have given my old computer to my uncle. My mom got me a better one. My ex gave me that computer and it was a dinosaur. It was running Windows 95 with an 8gb hdd and I think it only had 256mb of RAM.

I have no idea why my uncle wanted it but seeing as how I was starting college and couldn't use it except to play JezzBall and old Windows 3.1 and DOS games, so I didn't have much use for it.

That was the only computer I have given away and I still have the computer my mom gave me.. it is in a box somewhere in our apartment.

Sent from a Galaxy better than yours..

Slimmer Linux based operating systems like Puppy Linux can run on computers with 128-256MB of RAM, and older CPUs. You also don't need a  hard drive to run Puppy Linux since it runs off a CD, or USB drive like many other Linux Operating System.

Puppy Linux is good enough for web browsing, playing video, office work, and most regular tasks people do on a computer. I installed Puppy Linux on an older laptop, and Puppy Linux starts up in seconds, and can do most of the tasks which I typically do in Windows 7-8.

I've given old parts and PCs to family members before, but I don't know if I could sell my equipment without giving it a thorough cleaning. Just like a few of the users above were saying, DBAN (http://www.dban.org/download) is an excellent, free tool to safely overwrite and destroy data on your hard drives. Even if you don't think you have anything worth stealing on your computer, it's still a good idea to give it a once-over. 

I never sell my old PC's. Don't have many old PC's. And my old one the vga socket broke so I had to buy a new one. Not gonna sell a non working system to someone just to make a buck.

Back