Server Admin vs Sys Admin whats the diff

Revolved101

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
$50 Steam Gift Card
What is the difference between a Sys Admin and Server Admin?

Pretty much the same thing, just depends on how the company sets it up on how those job roles run things, but one like sys admin might be more for software running on the server where as sever admin might do more configuring of the sever itself.

At my job, I am the network admin and my partner in crime is the sys admin, I handle the hardware and he deals with the applications running on said server.

Pretty much the same thing, just depends on how the company sets it up on how those job roles run things, but one like sys admin might be more for software running on the server where as sever admin might do more configuring of the sever itself.

At my job, I am the network admin and my partner in crime is the sys admin, I handle the hardware and he deals with the applications running on said server.
Oh so the job role is a bit different cause anytime I google Server Admin I get Sys Admin jobs show up

Oh so the job role is a bit different cause anytime I google Server Admin I get Sys Admin jobs show up

Yeah, they seem to be the same thing, but a company might word it different, offical titles don't seem to be a standard in the IT world.

Even with me as network admin and my other sys admin, we have two other sys admins of *insert app here* that sit between us who are in charge of two of our major programs for the company.

Many days I see them wasting time on thier phone, other days in fetal postions praying to an image of Todd howard as fires rage on our programs being down lol.

Yeah, they seem to be the same thing, but a company might word it different, offical titles don't seem to be a standard in the IT world.

Even with me as network admin and my other sys admin, we have two other sys admins of *insert app here* that sit between us who are in charge of two of our major programs for the company.

Many days I see them wasting time on thier phone, other days in fetal postions praying to an image of Todd howard as fires rage on our programs being down lol.
Perks of being a Sys Admin lol another reasons I need upgrade my certs lol :grin::rofl:

Some places have it pretty fluid. My place is that we’re explicitly server admins, and play with servers, and the net admins do the networking, aka routers, switches, and cables.

Even within server stuff, they also have different tiers as well. I do some tier 1, but I’m exclusively in tier 2, but tier 3 peeps have contact with the vendors and are the SME on the individual servers or suites.

Back