Should junk food be banned from public schools?

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Do you feel the unhealthy and bad foods should be removed from all school buildings?

Limited yes, removed totally no. Its a balancing act, you don't want thousands of children not eating because they don't have anything they like... but the menus need improving to be more healthy.

Limited yes, removed totally no. Its a balancing act, you don't want thousands of children not eating because they don't have anything they like... but the menus need improving to be more healthy.

Don't make the same mistake as Michelle Obama made, you can make things healthy but kids won't eat it. After a long morning of classes kids want something really good tasting.

I never been to the cafeteria at my high school over the years and went to around 5 or so in earlier years of school.

When I was at university for 3 years (12 terms) I definitely went to the cafeteria, the purpose because of me needed some bus cash. That's mostly $2 of chips and 99% of the time is Kitkat. Also the staff were nice.

All cafeteria are rubbish of junk and food that made me put off, yes there needs to be 70% good health food and 30% for junkie

Don't make the same mistake as Michelle Obama made, you can make things healthy but kids won't eat it. After a long morning of classes kids want something really good tasting.
I don't know, man. A delicious salad with all sort of veggies in in and well-made dressing seems pretty tasty in my opinion. Same goes for freshly-baked vegan pizza, tofu etc.

I feel the school's staff has better things to do with their time like punishing bullies than try to control what kids eat.

Kids will find ways to buy junk food when they are not at school.

It is also hard to enforce junk food rules since kids can always drink soda from a plain bottle which is not see-through.

A lot of soda like 7-Up looks like water if you can't see the bubbles.

They can put chips, pizza, cookies, in their sandwich and other food.

A lot of the teachers and school staff are usually on break during lunch time, so they probably won't enforce the rule.

Maybe taking time to explain what foods are healthy, and what foods are not healthy is a better use of the school time.

Banning doesn't work, because people will always find a way.. banning junk food in schools might make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but it won't do jack shit once you're out of school.

Hospitals here in NYC have banned junk food in vending machines and they have closed down the satellite fast food restaurants that operated 24/7 mainly for the visitors and staff who didn't care for cafeteria food, or worked the graveyard shift and the cafeteria was closed, but that didn't stop people from smuggling in the junk from outside or gorging themselves before they went in to the hospital, and once they got out. The ban, while well-intentioned, didn't do anything except make things worse for the primary patrons while incurring more expense.

What does work, is education.

I have lost about 45 pounds, simply because I started reading the label, and realized what I was putting into my body.. well that and I also keep track of what I eat with MyFitnessPal.

If schools want to do something about childhood obesity (which I have heard is actually declining) then what they can do is make it fun for the kids to educate themselves on nutrition and being active.

MyFitnessPal has millions of users and the app is available for all smartphones. Most of the data is user-submitted, and it is double-checked by staff for accuracy, not only that, but restaurants have begun adding their menus to the app, so that users can look up the food they want, before ordering, and add it to their diary if they do so.

Since kids today have smartphones, they can install the app and then do something fun like having a school-wide competition between classes to see who can keep their streak the longest when using the app.

They can also add in fitness trackers like Jawbone's Up and FitBit, where they can pair their trackers, to the app and combine each classes' weight loss and step count to others. The data could be collected from each student, but kept anonymous so that they don't feel bad if they don't do as well as someone else. Teachers can also get in on the competition which will not only provide a good example for the kids, but also help the class out as well.

They can compete for prizes, or trips as well. If they add in obstacle course-like activities perhaps like a kiddie Ninja Warrior, or something like Nickelodeon's Double Dare or GUTS, etc, then that will only make things more fun for them. The can even implement Wii Fit and Wii Sports games as well.

No, I don't mind having junk foods at school; as long everything is in moderation. Doesn't you guys bought junk food at your school every now and then?

I think it would be helpful to ban soda machines and sell only water. Also ban candy machines, but allow chip machines. Kids would have sugar out of the schools but be allowed to treat themselves with chips. The worst health offenders would be gone and students would not be totally deprived.

I think it would be helpful to ban soda machines and sell only water. Also ban candy machines, but allow chip machines. Kids would have sugar out of the schools but be allowed to treat themselves with chips. The worst health offenders would be gone and students would not be totally deprived.
People would get very mad if you do that.

End of the day they WILL not banned them, Why! They are making money from people like as who buys them and they won't stop that. It's the same for people that are smoking away

Well, it'snot our choice to make...and people wouldn't like it of course.
It's just that...even though it's bad for health....what if someone forgets to pack their lunch bag or couldn't eat the available fruits because of some allergy? I am not so sure how to answer this.

Schools here don't sell junk foods. But if you go outside in front of the school building just there, right in front of it. You see a store selling junk foods to students. :p

It's a difficult issue to address because low quality/junky food is the cheapest and public school don't have the funding available to serve healthy foods. I always brought my lunch to school as a kid.

It's a difficult issue to address because low quality/junky food is the cheapest and public school don't have the funding available to serve healthy foods. I always brought my lunch to school as a kid.
Can't they make a healthy bread so it won't cost much plus it can fill your stomach just right. :p

Can't they make a healthy bread so it won't cost much plus it can fill your stomach just right. :p

We need the elvish bread, Lembas lol:
lembas-elvish-waybread-ofmarvel-one-small-bite-is-enough-fill-10846218.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Coming soon to stores near you! elvish leaf sold separately.

Just wait for Japan and that bread will come in different flavors, strawberry, peanut, chocolate etc. :p

Niiiiice! Then perhaps Suwako could give it a taste and tell us what it's like lol

Back