Should wireless Wi-Fi chips or cards on Router be upgradeable like PCs?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it would be cool if there are wireless router where it is possible to replace or upgrade the wireless chip or card to a newer wi-fi card with faster speed and more features.

I like that Desktop PCs, and bigger laptops have PCI or PCI-X expansion card slots which let you install a new Wi-Fi card, or other types of cards like sound cards.

Users can also plug in a USB Wi-Fi adapter into a USB Port, and use the newer Wi-Fi standard like 802.11 AC or 802.11N wi-fi instead of 802.11G which is found on older laptops from 2006 and older.

Never thought about something like that before... Sounds interesting, would be cool to upgrade to wireless routers.

I've never really taken a router apart, but I like to think that to upgrade it means doing more than swamping out a chip or card.

I've never really taken a router apart, but I like to think that to upgrade it means doing more than swamping out a chip or card.

Most likely, you will also have to modify the operating system on the router because the OS and drivers are probably very limited, and does not recognize third-party wifi chips and cards which did not come with the router.

It is possible to make your own cheap router with a $35 Raspberry Pi where you can upgrade it by plugging in USB Wi-Fi adapters.

I saw online that some people made a Router with the Raspberry Pi Model B where they use a USB Wi-Fi adapter. I think the Raspberry Pi or another smaller Windows or Linux computer could be a good way to make a wireless router which is customizable, and upgradeable.

You can also use Internet Connection Sharing in Windows to turn a laptop or desktop into a router. The Wi-Fi on most desktops, and laptops can be upgraded.

Last edited:
Back