Should you have an RFID wallet?

NameGervin

Full GL Member
Credits
They are expensive and works just like an aluminum foil. I heard that those wallets are just waste, because the probability of thieves that can get close to you. Also if they got your details they should be still needing your PIN code. So do you think RFID wallet or smart wallet is worth getting? or this is just some business? I think maybe in more years this wallet will replace the normal wallets, but I think now I can't see their benefits.

If you want to save money, wrapping your bank card in aluminum foil would be the cheapest way to protect yourself from an RFID reader.

I saw a few RFID metal case style wallets with a nice design. The metal wallet case wallet do seem more durable than clothe and plastic wallets. You can buy RFID wallets for around $10 or less on eBay and Amazon, so they are not much more expensive than a regular wallet, and is cheaper than wallets made by brand names.

I have been seeing an increase of people carrying around metal wallets as some form of protection. I wouldn't get it though unless I plan on going to a big city.

I have been seeing an increase of people carrying around metal wallets as some form of protection. I wouldn't get it though unless I plan on going to a big city.

Some people may get metal wallets because they last longer than most clothe, plastic, and fake leather wallets which sometimes only last a few months before they start to get scratched up, fall apart and get damaged.

Plus, people like to follow fads like fidget spinners, Pogs, Pokemon Go, and Slime, so metal wallets maybe a weird trend which adults are following.

It's not what I consider "hacking", since all you do is rent a portable POS and look like a total idiot in public.
But even then, overseas NFC payment enabled cards get checked by banks, meaning that every transaction can be traced.

Over here NFC payments aren't a thing, but instead we use IC technologies, which is Sony's variation for use in Japan only.
This technology does not do any bank checking, but in return portable POS with this specific tech don't exist, and only the big name companies have more options than just cash.
Plus there's nobody here who would actually steal anything here.

Earlier today I almost lost my wallet after going to another arcade cabinet, then somebody ran after me to return my wallet before I actually noticed I didn't have it, and nothing was lost.

Good thing you didn't lose your wallet and any cards + money.

Also forgot to add: if you have multiple cards with the same technologies, such POS won't work because it's then trying to read all these cards at the same time, resulting in an error.

I don’t think it’s worth it, if someone really wants to steal that information they are going to get it. I mean EquiFax just gave it all away. You trust so many companies with it, including pizza shops and whatnot.

Honestly, it's not safe to carry excess amount anymore...and the same goes to the cards as well....

So, I do believe a smart wallet is a good option....but yeah if someone is persistent, they would get that amount too, by threatening but still....

Maybe carrying multiple RFID wallets can be a good way to better protect yourself where one RFID wallet contains a card from a bank account with only a few dollars in the account while you use another RFID wallet to carry bank cards from accounts with hundreds to thousands of dollars in the account.

If a robber uses a knife to scare you for your wallet, you give them the RFID wallet with only a few dollars in the bank account.

Back