froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Just last month, Microsoft confirmed that it’s going to drop Skype support for Windows Phone 8, 8.1 as well as Android devices powered by version 4.0.3 and below. Even though support will no longer be available on these versions of Windows Phone, Microsoft has revealed till when the apps will continue to work with some limitations and when they will stop working on Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 8.1.

Read More

I wonder how many people are still using Windows Phone 8 and 8.1, and are also Skype users.

I think one of the advantages of some older Android devices like the Samsung Galaxy S2 where the manufacturer is no longer releasing updates is that users can install unofficial versions of Android made by companies like Cyanogenmod, so they can upgrade their Android device to Android 4.1 and newer versions to continue to use Skype.

Last edited:
I'm sure anyone using it will either upgrade their phone or find something else.

I'm sure anyone using it will either upgrade their phone or find something else.

Some people may find a way to install Android 4.1 or newer versions of Android onto their Windows Phone to continue using Skype on their phone.

But, I feel most people will find a way to upgrade to Windows Phone 10, hope that their phone maker or cell phone company release an upgrade to WP10, or switch to an iPhone or Google Android smartphone to continue to use the mobile version of Skype on a smartphone.

Last edited:
You gotta be joking me, :mad: That really sucks my day. I'm using Windows 8.1 640 phone.

I have an choice to update to windows 10 but not all Apps that I use work on Windows 10 that is why I'm still on windows 8 for my phone.

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta be joking me, :mad: That really sucks my day. I'm using Windows 8.1 640 phone.

I have an choice to update to windows 10 but not all Apps that I use work on Windows 10 that is why I'm still on windows 8 for my phone.

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That stinks. Hopefully Microsoft realizes that there are still many Windows Phone Users who are on Windows Phone 8/8.1, and keep supporting Skype longer until most users of WP 8/8.1 switch to WP 10, or use a Android 4.1 or Apple iPhone smartphone.

That stinks. Hopefully Microsoft realizes that there are still many Windows Phone Users who are on Windows Phone 8/8.1, and keep supporting Skype longer until most users of WP 8/8.1 switch to WP 10, or use a Android 4.1 or Apple iPhone smartphone.
Doesn't help if you are on a budget who doesn't have the extra cash. Time to save up for my next phone or upgrade this phone of mine

It could be a good idea to think about trading or selling your older Windows Phone 8/8.1 phones soon. Used Windows Phone 8 phones may be worth a lot less and will be harder to sell when WP 8/8.1 stops supporting Skype early next year.

Skype is a very important app to a lot of users because most people use Skype to chat with other people, and Windows Phone 8 is not compatible with other popular chat apps like Google Hangouts, and Blackberry Messenger/BBM. I predict WhatsApp will also soon end support for Windows Phone 8.1 which would mean most of the popular internet-based messaging apps no longer work for WP 8.1.

If I had a Windows Phone 8/8.1 phone, and can't afford a good Google Android phone or iPhone, I probably try to sell a Windows Phone to someone, and go back to using my older regular cell phone or feature phone until I have save enough money to buy a better phone like a Samsung Galaxy S7, Apple iPhone 6S, or the Blackberry Priv which uses Google Android with extra security and privacy features to keep users safe.

I definitely can do it to my other newer phone however isn't going to be easy since it's a locked phone that's Australian network and I'm in United Kingdom. And I mention that boot loader is also locked. So how's that going to work out selling? I also forgot to mention that it's a year old and sim hasn't been activated

Selling locked phones from another country does make it harder for you to sell the phone locally. I guest, selling it on the Australian version of eBay, or to someone like former Australian co-worker or friend who needs a phone could be a way to sell it. You can also sell your phone to someone who is will move to Australia in the near future, and needs a phone which works in Australia.

Back