Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Alright then I might myself start it. How is the learning curve? especially for a FPS fan :p

The learning curve isn't too bad but the game does seem to have a focus on multi-classing. I tried for experimental sake to try and go only combat (heavy armour, block, 1 handed wep, armourer) and after a while I was still getting eaten into because the course of play had leveled a lot of my skills and leveled me but my armour and block skills had not risen with such grace so I was being pounded into the dust by tougher enemies which I suppose meant strategy was in order. In contrast to this my friends took a mage/warrior/everything class and just kicked ass from start to finish with little-to-no difficulties at all. It seems somewhat imbalanced in that respect but it is still more balanced than Oblivion I feel.

My overall opinion of the game as a MASSIVE Oblivion fan is that while the game is huge, there isn't really a lot to do. I kept finding excuses to go play something else and the dynamic questline was an interesting idea but I found the quests rather boring and almost a slog. The main quest was pretty badass at points but I never felt like there was any real danger being presented to the world. Coupled with the fact the final encounter was insultingly easy compared to the rest of the game and the ending felt rather rushed and ambiguous and made you question everything you had just done. If you have never played an Elder Scrolls game, you will probably love Skyrim. The same way I loved Oblivion having never played Morrowind but as I look back at TESIV I can't help but feel a sense of longing. Skyrim is a huge world with not a lot going on. I find no real incentive to do any of the quests and while I cannot deny the massive improvements the game has brought in balancing play, voice acting, character models. The game feels different. It is meant to have a constant doom and gloom aspect. It really is dog-eat-dog out there and while I give it 5 stars easily I can never go into it with the same enthusiasm I went into Oblivion with. Granted, I have never been a huge fan of sandbox games.

If someone hasn't played any prevous Elder Scroll Games would you recommend this?

Sure, the thing to remember is that each Elder Game is a stand alone entry. The only thing playing a previous entry will do is make some of the reading material (and one or two quests) you find more revelant. That said Skyrim is a great game, since it includes quite a lot of things to do. You can slog through the main quest; you can plow through the many, many sidequests; you can become a mastercrafts man; you can hunt or become rich as you want to be. Or you can just plain go exploring. It's a massive, very detailed world filled with things to examine and explore.

If someone hasn't played any prevous Elder Scroll Games would you recommend this?
Yes definitely! I am also a virgin to the Elder Scroll series and in fact Skyrim is my first ever RPG! Initially the game may seem a little overbearing because of so many features and with the magic, skills and whatnots, however, a little experimenting would get you going in no time. Once you get the hang of it, the game is actually quite addictive and the graphics are really beautiful! This is coming from a first-person shooter junkie so I guess you should really give it a try! It's not that hard and there is a really caring community out there in the forums. Just search for help if you are ever stuck in the game!

Alright, looks like its time for me to finally pick up Skyrim. Lots of hours of gameplay :happy:

Reicha7 said:
The learning curve isn't too bad but the game does seem to have a focus on multi-classing. I tried for experimental sake to try and go only combat (heavy armour, block, 1 handed wep, armourer) and after a while I was still getting eaten into because the course of play had leveled a lot of my skills and leveled me but my armour and block skills had not risen with such grace so I was being pounded into the dust by tougher enemies which I suppose meant strategy was in order. In contrast to this my friends took a mage/warrior/everything class and just kicked ass from start to finish with little-to-no difficulties at all. It seems somewhat imbalanced in that respect but it is still more balanced than Oblivion I feel.

My overall opinion of the game as a MASSIVE Oblivion fan is that while the game is huge, there isn't really a lot to do. I kept finding excuses to go play something else and the dynamic questline was an interesting idea but I found the quests rather boring and almost a slog. The main quest was pretty badass at points but I never felt like there was any real danger being presented to the world. Coupled with the fact the final encounter was insultingly easy compared to the rest of the game and the ending felt rather rushed and ambiguous and made you question everything you had just done. If you have never played an Elder Scrolls game, you will probably love Skyrim. The same way I loved Oblivion having never played Morrowind but as I look back at TESIV I can't help but feel a sense of longing. Skyrim is a huge world with not a lot going on. I find no real incentive to do any of the quests and while I cannot deny the massive improvements the game has brought in balancing play, voice acting, character models. The game feels different. It is meant to have a constant doom and gloom aspect. It really is dog-eat-dog out there and while I give it 5 stars easily I can never go into it with the same enthusiasm I went into Oblivion with. Granted, I have never been a huge fan of sandbox games.
I know what you mean. Block doesn't seem to develop as fast as it should. That's why when I encounter an easy opponent, I intentionally let him bash my shield for as long as my health can endure it before finishing him off. It really helped with the block. The more you level up and increase your health, the longer you can endure. It's only a little difficult in the beginning when even a Frostbite Spider is a challenge (*shudder*).

My favourite combination is Archery (it's always the first combat skill I maximise!) and Two-Handed with a touch of Magic. You have to admit that spells are a good tool to use: if nothing, Restoration keeps you longer in the game. 

The map is enormous: you can spend days exploring and collecting ingredients! And the cities are beautiful. Plus, there are so many characters you can encounter along the way, so many mini quests and stories.... after 1000+ hours, I still play Skyrim! That speaks for itself.

P.S. I tried to go to the link, but it couldn't start: it is an old post, but I thought it was better to rekindle this one rather than start a new thread...

404 error.
I really wanna read some gaming reviews to purchase some cool games for myself (_ _)

alakazam said:
I doubt you would enjoy Skyrim. It's mostly about dedication and patience and putting a lot of time into playing it...
Then I will have to pass.
I am not that dedicated towards any game (_ _)

alakazam said:
It's alright... You're very dedicated towards anime series, and that takes a lot of patience (especially with how some series have so many filler episodes in which not much action happens)...
Anime is totally different from games....it's just awesome *-*
I can't wait to see more and more anime!

Back