Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Sony released its third quarter financial results ending on December 31 today, and it looks like the new PlayStation 3 model and price point have been a success for the company so far.

Sony sold 6.5 million PS3 units worldwide during the quarter, up from 4.5 million during the same time last year. Software unit sales are also on rise, with 47.6 million PlayStation 3 games sold compared to 40.8 million last year.

Hardware sales for both the PlayStation Portable and PlayStation 2, however, were not so impressive.

PSP unit sales for the quarter were down from 5.1 million units during last year's third quarter to 4.2 million, and software sales fell to 15 million units from 15.5 million. PlayStation 2's unit sales also dropped to 2.1 million from 2.5 million. PS2 software sales saw a significant drop in sales, with only 11.2 million units being sold down from 29.7 million.

Sony isn't too concerned at the moment, though, since the manufacturing costs of the PlayStation 3 have been reduced, allowing the company to balance out its losses.

"Despite a decrease in PS2 hardware and software unit sales, as well as PSP hardware unit sales, profitability was relatively unchanged mainly due to an improvement in the cost of PS3 hardware," the company said in its report.

source

sometime before march 9th, I will get a slim 250GB PS3 *along with wifi*.

Awesome, I plan to get the PS3 when it cheaper since the price is still kind of high for me.

Back