Ash

Avid Gamer
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Steal More
Mature Board Viewing
Username Style
Social media is now used more than ever to spread hate and bullying is made easier with the fact that people can stay anonymous. Do you think social media sites like Facebook & Twitter should be doing more to stop the spreading of hate on their platforms? We have idiots in the UK like Katie Hopkins who seems to believe that all Muslims are terrorists and tweet their opinion out. Is that a form of free speech or is too far?

I don't think it's really their issue. At the end of the day, a site that big is basically impossible to moderate on any sort of proactive basis, so they may as well work on ways for users to block trolls and bullies themselves.

It's also a reason forums are better in general. Because you know, we actually moderate them properly. Since we can do so without getting buried under an avalanche of reports.

It's more of a person issue than social media. I took a lot of shit back in my Jr. High and High school and that was direct contact. Yet today we have people killing themselves because some anonymous person posted a bunch of text.

I know some people can be sensitive, but you need to learn how to take something and deal with it.

It's more of a person issue than social media. I took a lot of shit back in my Jr. High and High school and that was direct contact. Yet today we have people killing themselves because some anonymous person posted a bunch of text.

I know some people can be sensitive, but you need to learn how to take something and deal with it.
True. I'm surprised how many people don't know about the block button. It can easily block trolls. Of course sometimes it can be difficult if it's constant cyber bullying especially from people that you know. I think most suicides are because the kids are too scared to actually do anything like report it which is the biggest problem. Schools need to teach them that it's okay to report bullying

True. I'm surprised how many people don't know about the block button. It can easily block trolls. Of course sometimes it can be difficult if it's constant cyber bullying especially from people that you know. I think most suicides are because the kids are too scared to actually do anything like report it which is the biggest problem. Schools need to teach them that it's okay to report bullying

I'm not surprised they're too scared to report it. The ridiculous 'zero tolerance' policies at some schools and the complete inability for them to do anything useful about bullying in real life means it's often more hassle than it's worth to 'report' anything. If kids saw reporting bullying as something that'd be rewarded and would help solve the problem, they might be more willing to do the same thing online.

As it is though... it's not surprising that things happen the way they are. There's basically no upside to reporting anything in real life, so why assume there would be on the internet?

People weren't always "hateful". You didn't see famous actors sending each other telegrams saying "fuck you" back in the 20-30s. People are hateful because it's their only outlet. They've found out that the game is rigged against them so they need to vent.

I think there is more haters online because most people are online, and have a Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, or similar social account compared to the past where only a few colleges, schools, and house holds have access to the internet.

There would always be a small percentage of people who are rude, and choose to bully and stalk other people online. Some of these people who bully or stalk people online maybe having problems with their mental health, or they are too ignorant to know or care that stalking and bullying people online is hurtful, and against the law.

It's not okay though, unless they kick the person out of school the bullying will only grow worse because it's not like the school will make it a clear point to stop bullying. It's another reason why I never reported anything, I knew it would only make things worse.

It's not okay though, unless they kick the person out of school the bullying will only grow worse because it's not like the school will make it a clear point to stop bullying. It's another reason why I never reported anything, I knew it would only make things worse.

Kicking bullies out of school may make things worse sometimes. The bully will now have a lot of free time to seek revenge for causing them to be kicked out of school, and being punished by the principal.

Sadly, reporting bullying may make things worse since bullies can be in a criminal gang, or make a deal with a criminal gang to beat someone up for money, or agreeing to join their gang after they help him beat someone up.

Last edited:
Kicking bullies out of school may make things worse sometimes if the bullies. The bully will now have a lot of free time to seek revenge for causing them to be kicked out of school, and being punished by the principal.

Sadly, reporting bullying may make things worse since bullies can be in a criminal gang, or make a deal with a criminal gang to beat someone up for money, or agreeing to join their gang after they help him beat someone up.

This.

Criminal gangs? Where I live, bullies are just jerks. Is it really that serious in America now?

Criminal gangs? Where I live, bullies are just jerks. Is it really that serious in America now?

I saw on the news that the city of Chicago in America has a big gang problems where there is a lot of gun violence, and other forms of violence. There is a chance that some of the bullies in Chicago are also gangsters. Gangs can be categorized as bullies since they bully people to scare them.

Social media is now used more than ever to spread hate and bullying is made easier with the fact that people can stay anonymous. Do you think social media sites like Facebook & Twitter should be doing more to stop the spreading of hate on their platforms? We have idiots in the UK like Katie Hopkins who seems to believe that all Muslims are terrorists and tweet their opinion out. Is that a form of free speech or is too far?

I do not think that they should try to stop such a thing, and I think you kinda made my point with the post about Muslims : p
I absolutely agree that there are people out there who just hate all Muslims, and say terrible things about the people themselves. Its a real thing.
But at the same time I see people who equate criticizing the religion of Islam as "racism" against Muslims, which is just false. Islam is a religion, and beliefs should be questioned. I mean we see it all the time with Christianity. Islam should not be protected from criticism.

So no, I believe that any kind of censorship of any sort in the name of fighting hate speech can be used to block different ideas and opinions, and should not be done.

That being said, sites like Facebook and Twitter are their own independent sites and free to make whatever rules they want. I also strongly believe they should be allowed to decide what they allow on their sites.

I don't even go to social media unless I have to contact old friends through DMs. For information and having fun, I go to forums and other sites that I like the community; I don't ever get my news on social media nor do I look at what's in there. Social media can be very toxic especially with gender issues, religion, politics; for me I'd rather just find a gaming site/forum and just keep socializing there. I feel more at home at gaming forums rather than having to hashtag people or some crap.

I saw on the news that the city of Chicago in America has a big gang problems where there is a lot of gun violence, and other forms of violence. There is a chance that some of the bullies in Chicago are also gangsters. Gangs can be categorized as bullies since they bully people to scare them.
Chicago has always been violent though. Didn't the mafia run roughshod over there in the early 1930s onwards? It's always been controlled by gangs or by organizations. People have even romanticized that aspect and made it into movies about mobsters. But I agree, the US is a violent place. The idea of a kid shooting his classmates because they were mean to him is ridiculous to even consider happening in real life where I'm from. Now that's messed up.

I think is not really up to the site if people spread hate or bullying, of course for this exist the reporting comments and posts so they can do something about it. Is really up to the people they way they use social media, lately, idiots are everywhere spreading hate to others and bullying and it has become a big issue that can affect in a terrible way others people lives. In my case, whenever I see an idiot in social media posting hateful stuff I report them to do my little part in a way of helping with this issue.

As far as bullying is concerned, it seems like people could just de-friend harassers. However, though, I know it's more intricate than that. For instance, a lot of people pretend to be your friend and then spread gossip which goes off-line.

I had a guy that flat out asked me to sleep with him, even though he knows full well that I am married. When I declined his advances because...you know....I'M MARRIED, he got on Facebook and proceeded to rant about what a terrible person I was. He basically turned the tables to make himself look like the victim and I was the perpetrator. I don't use Facebook anymore because of this individual.

I do agree with you that there are some people that are too sensitive but there are some people who are just douche bags too.

Do you think social media sites like Facebook & Twitter should be doing more to stop the spreading of hate on their platforms?
To be honest, I would say "no".
I used to say "yes" before they started doing so, but as it turns out, stuff like conservative news, right wing (not extreme right or alt-right) news, messages contradicting the lies spread in western mainstream media, messages critical to Washington/Brussels/Jerusalem, etc. are now also considered "spreading of hate" by these platforms.
All while hate against Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea are perfectly OK.

By this it looks more like this "anti hate speech" stuff is actually politically motivated.
I should also point out that it's the very reason I'll be quitting Twitter on 2 October (when the new terms of services will be in use for everyone outside the USA), and I don't have a Facebook account to begin with.

As an alternative, I've been using Mastodon for quite some time now.
It does lack lots of news accounts, but it's better to be uninformed than to be misinformed. (´・ω・`)
And most companies I follow have a LINE account any way.

Back