Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Google says it’s investigating Google Drive users’ reports claiming that their personal files have unexpectedly vanished from the cloud service. The company acknowledged the issue today in a new Google community support thread and believes it involves a “limited subset” of Google Drive for desktop app users. Google notes it’s a sync issue for Google Drive desktop versions 84.0.0.0 through 84.0.4.0.

One of the users, who lost all of their Google Drive data going back to May, discovered the unwelcome surprise last week and took their grievances to Google’s community support site, as reported by The Register. Google’s support team, as the user explains, walked them through a data recovery process, including attempting to backup and restore a DriveFS folder, but to no avail.

Source

I wonder if Google can recover their lost files, or still have a copy stored on a backup drive at Google.

Hopefully, the users who lost their files can recover their lost files.

Hopefully, some affected Google Drive users, who lost their files, at least use the file backup progran which came with Microsoft Windows, so they can easily recover their files from offline backups.

I wonder would Google will discontinue Google Drive in the future like Google Stadia and Google Reader if many people no longer use Google Drive because it lost users files, and Google Drive problems are greatly damaging Google's company reputation.

I doubt this will hurt them too much, but they are certainly not helping themselves by pushing out new UI features for Google Drive while seemingly ignoring the missing file problem.

I wonder if there would be many lawsuits because Google lost users files stored on Google Drive.

Data loss is no joke for any company, they just proved they can't keep track of people's stuff.
I don't disagree by any means, but consumers seem to forget these things very fast as it was only around 1-2 years ago that a Windows update accidentally deleted a bunch of people's files and they seem to be fine.

Huh, I don't recall that.
Actually it looks like in 2018 and 2020 Microsoft dropped Windows 10 updates that were deleting user's files from their drives. The 2020 update was the one I was thinking of when they had to pull the entire update and started the delayed update feature. Google's issues seem more widespread, but I never believe in users to leave a system until I see it anymore.

I didn't lose anything from them. However they did intentionally take things away because I shared some files connected to my old school account they scrapped.

I feel more people will buy a USB storage drive like USB flash, or use their cell phone's storage drive for storing important files instead of trusting Google Drive for backing up their files on Google Drive after Google lost user files.

I feel more people will buy a USB storage drive like USB flash, or use their cell phone's storage drive for storing important files instead of trusting Google Drive for backing up their files on Google Drive after Google lost user files.
Having your phone be the location of your important files is a terrible decision.

Having your phone be the location of your important files is a terrible decision.
^This is is solid advice.

Backups should be your goal, use G Drive or whatever you want for you main file service, but ensure they are being backed up onto something. Two backups is really the best, with one being a physical/local backup and the other being a cloud/off-site backup.

^This is is solid advice.

Backups should be your goal, use G Drive or whatever you want for you main file service, but ensure they are being backed up onto something. Two backups is really the best, with one being a physical/local backup and the other being a cloud/off-site backup.

Off site would be better than cloud.

Back