Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from VGC:

Sony shares fell as much as 8.4% and closed down 6.5%, partly as a result of the revised PS5 hardware sales forecast, but also partly due to a drop in operating margin in Sony’s gaming business to 6% (compared to 9% in the December quarter of 2022 and 12-13% in the years before this).

Now a new report on CNBC, in which the news outlet has made a caculation using FactSet data, suggests this drop in share price has resulted in around $10 billion of value being wiped from Sony’s stock since the forecast cut.

Jefferies equity analyst Atul Goyal told CNBC that the new shipment forecast wasn’t as disappointing as the low level of operating margin.

Goyal explained that the operating margins at Sony’s gaming division were 12-13% for four years, and that its current margin of 6% are “extremely disappointing”, and “almost near decade lows”.

Goyal also said that Sony’s margins should have been rising during this period instead of falling, given that there are “various tailwinds that should have driven up the margins towards 20%” such as the increase in digital game sales as well as Sony’s PS Plus service, which has a margin of around 50%.

“Their revenue on digital sales, add-on-content, digital-downloads are at all time highs,” Goyal said, “and yet their margins are at decade-lows. This is just not acceptable.”

Hopefully, Sony does not end up laying many workers off because Sony's value is declining by $10 billion.

I bet their incredibly poor business decisions are the main contributing factor! They need to wake up and smell the java and start doing what their customers TELL them to do rather than doing what THEY want to do! Not that I would EVER care about Sony, I couldn't care LESS about them! The more they suffer, the happier I get! :)

Back