Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Seems some people are having trouble accessing the PlayStation Network right now, being either unable to sign in or finding their ability to stay connected being "disrupted". So Sony is trying to lighten the network's load.

The company has disabled the "redeem voucher" function on the PSN while they "investigate further". Given the timing of the network troubles and the first thing Sony disabled, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to deduct the problem might just be that a ton of new games, codes and consoles got sold on Black Friday, and a lot of Americans have the day off (though reports of spotty service are worldwide, so the new PS4 consoles sold in Europe probably aren't helping).

source

I don't remember this problem last thanksgiving.

I think this is actually a good tactic by Sony... (and I'd imagine that other companies also use it too...)

By disabling one aspect of the service (the redeem code aspect) they can divert processing power, ram and bandwidth to more critical areas (like serving updates). This way those who are trying to update their systems to get to play games can easier without the interference they might otherwise have had.

Sure it might suck right then for those trying to redeem a code to download a game or dlc or something... But it's better to have the whole thing disabled entirely than the system be spotty and not recognise the code as a result or accept it but not present your download or even possibly a case where it takes the code and marks it used but doesn't attribute it to your account.

But then as the load lightens they can restore the redeem code feature.

This stinks for people who bought many discounted vouchers for PSN on Black Friday, or got vouchers as gifts from people during the holidays, but can't redeem them today. Sony at least could of made it possible for them to save the voucher codes on to their PSN account, but not use them until things get more stable which is more convenient than storing a lot of vouchers which may get lost in a person room, or wallet.

Redeeming vouchers is an important feature since people paid for vouchers, but can't use them immediately which is like having a giftcard to buy something at a store, but the cashier walks out of the job, so there is no one to take your giftcard as payment to buy something.

True,it is best to not to use them during an unstable time on PSN, but if the voucher codes got erased, you can always send PSN tech support a copy of the physical gift card, and a store receipt by e-mail in the unfortunate case where your voucher got erased.

I think it is safer to store the voucher codes online since a robber, or some one who lives with you in the same house can always redeem or sell your unused voucher when you are at school, work, or away from home like how people sometime steal license codes for Windows by de-activating your Windows license, and re-activating it on their computer with the same code which they copied from the license sticker on the case of most desktop and laptops made by Dell, HP, Acer, and many other PC makers.

I wonder if PSN slowdown could of been prevented if the Europeon launch happened next week instead of on Black Friday when there are a lot of Americans get the day off as part of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, so a lot of American PSN users will most likely be redeeming vouchers, gaming on PSN, and installing updates for consoles, and games which may slowdown PSN for Europeons.

I read on Playstation forum most of the servers are in the US, and Japan. PSN is a free service, so there most likely are not many servers all over the world since it would most likely cost too much for the land and buildings to store them, and I'm not sure there are enough PSN+ users to make it worth it to have many servers.

I bet if Sony used Amazon's hosting which Amazon, Netflix, and Instagram uses to host their many files, videos, and pictures, the slow down would be not as noticeable, or exist because Netflix, Amazon, and Instagram did not have widespread reports of slow down on Black Friday which is the most busiest time of the year for them because a lot of people are at home shopping at Amazon, watching Amazon Prime video and Netflix, and uploading video and pictures to Instagram.

I didn't notice any disruption of service on the PSN.   Maybe everything has been smoothed out?

Back