froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Now Google is rolling out a new implementation of that feature which will allow some web app websites to work more like native Android apps. Among other things, that means they’ll show up in the app drawer among other places.

First, a website will need to be what’s called a “Progressive Web App,” which is a type of app that uses web technologies to offer some of the features you’d expect from a native app, including the ability to run even when your device is not connected to the internet, download data in the background while you’re doing other things, and display push notifications.

Read More

This looks like a good feature for people who use a lot of websites with web apps, and need offline access to them by storing them on an offline storage drive. I imagine this feature will save people a lot of bandwidth data since they can run like offline apps on a storage drive.

I wonder if users could be breaking the law, and arrested by downloading mobile web apps with copyrighted content to their Android device since some web apps contain paid news articles, music and video files which are licensed for a website to use, and not license to offline users for offline playback/usage on people's devices sort of like how it is against the law in many countries to download music files from YouTube, and online radio to listen to offline.

Some web app owners may also not want their web app to be downloaded and used offline because it can lower the value of their website's domain name if fewer people login to their website to use the web app, and cause a decrease in web traffic which makes a domain name worth less money.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what this app is supposed to do?

I'm not sure I understand what this app is supposed to do?

I think this feature use Google Chrome web browser to save a web app's website files like html, pictures, and javascript to a folder on your storage drive, and Chrome automatically add a desktop homescreen shortcut to the webapp which contain a HTML page and website files like Javascript, CSS, and picture/video files which got saved on your storage chip by Chrome.

The Web App saving Feature is somewhat similar to the File menu's Save Website As HTML and website file feature found in most desktop web browser which let you view a website offline by saving the HTML and website files like Javascript, CSS, flash, audio, and video files to a folder, so you can open the HTML file with a web browser which open the website files which are stored on your PC to let you view a website offline.

Last edited:

I think this feature use Google Chrome web browser to save a web app's website files like html, pictures, and javascript to a folder on your storage drive, and Chrome automatically add a desktop homescreen shortcut to the webapp which contain a HTML page and website files like Javascript, CSS, and picture/video files which got saved on your storage chip by Chrome.

The Web App saving Feature is somewhat similar to the File menu's Save Website As HTML and website file feature found in most desktop web browser which let you view a website offline by saving the HTML and website files like Javascript, CSS, flash, audio, and video files to a folder, so you can open the HTML file with a web browser which open the website files which are stored on your PC to let you view a website offline.

ooh, so kind of like downloading a webpage.

ooh, so kind of like downloading a webpage.

Yes, it is like downloading a website from a web browsers' save as feature which let you save a website as a .html file and download the pictures, javascript, css, ,swf flash files, and other files to the same folder which the .html file is saved to.

Back