froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
The Korea Herald has reported that the government of South Korea is also working on its plans to switch to Linux from Windows.

Read More

It is nice to see South Korea trying new operating systems.

Linux is used on a lot of super computers, and web servers.

I use Linux for tasks like web browsing, writing letters, Linux games, and other tasks.

Last edited:
They may regret this.

They may regret this.

I agree they may regret this.

South Korea would be saving money by switching to Linux. But, they may end up spend more money and time switching from Linux to Windows if the switch from Windows to Linux is slow and unsuccessful, and they lose important data during the switch from Windows to Linux.

The cost to switch from Linux to Windows may also be expensive and slow if the tech workers need to spend a lot of time to install Linux on a lot of computers.

I hope it goes well for them.
Linux is more robust than windows. Still, if it's unsuccessful, they will be facing too many issues.

I hope it goes well for them.
Linux is more robust than windows. Still, if it's unsuccessful, they will be facing too many issues.

I agree, Linux is more robust than Windows. I like that it is usually possible to uninstall programs like chat and social networking programs which I never use, but still use up storage space. It is also possible to turn off features in Linux which I rarely use.

But, it is not possible to remove programs like Internet Explorer/Edge, Bing, Xbox, Cortana, Mail, etc in Windows 10. I also dislike how Windows Update add more features to Windows, and sometimes break Windows after a failed update, or make Windows slower...

South Korea may save a lot of storage space on their many computers if they choose use a customized Linux Operating System with only installed software like Chrome, LibreOffice, Gimp, printer software, etc which they need to use for their daily tasks.

I highly doubt storage space on their individual computers are why they’re moving to Linux, especially since I can guarantee they have file servers.

They’re more than likely moving to Linux for security reasons.

But, it is not possible to remove programs like Internet Explorer/Edge, Bing, Xbox, Cortana, Mail, etc in Windows 10. I also dislike how Windows Update add more features to Windows, and sometimes break Windows after.
There is an edition of windows 10 called LTSC that doesn't have 1/2 the junk in it and it only get major updates every 2 or 3 years.

There is an edition of windows 10 called LTSC that doesn't have 1/2 the junk in it and it only get major updates every 2 or 3 years.

This sounds like a good version of Windows 10 for people who are low on storage space, or just need to use Windows for using a few programs like Photoshop, and MS Word.

Back