Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Speedrunners are video gamers who run through a video game level as fast as possible with or without cheating/glitches. To master that for an official run though, it takes hours and hours of gameplay and that much gaming wears on a person's hands as described by former professional speedrunner Narcissa Wright:

Kotaku: You haven’t been able to speedrun lately, though, right? Because your hands are messed up? What happened there?

Narcissa Wright: I think it’s all the years of playing games. But it got bad when Smash Wii U came out. I think I’m at 11,500 matches now. I played for long sessions. I was playing Melee at the same time too, and that’s even more demanding on your hands. If I play too long, it hurts a lot, and it hurts for a long time afterward. It’s been a huge problem. It’s made me feel like maybe I can’t get back into speedrunning as much as I want to with Castlevania and stuff.

I don’t have health insurance right now. I’m trying to get that settled. I walked into a physical therapy place, but they told me I need a doctor’s note and insurance. I want to get that figured out in 2016. In the meantime, I’ve been doing stuff like hand exercises—just trying to stretch my hands and take care of them. I also took a two week break from console gaming, and that’s helped a bit. But I still can’t do those long sessions.

This is a common problem, too. A lot of people have this problem. Particularly Smash players. But I think it happens in other games too. I think StarCraft players get hand problems as well, but I don’t know as much about that.

Full thing here.

Speedrunner or not GL gamers, always take breaks and rest those eyes and stretch those fingers.

Back