Multi Square Enix has misplaced code for some of its older games

Danielx64

Credits
Facepalm: Square Enix is one of several publishers that could offer a subscription to access its older catalog of games through a service like Stadia (or perhaps on its own). But first, they'll have to track down some missing code

Well there you have it, even game studio and developers lose work because they don't back-up their work or lost their back-up.

Yep posted about it before. They should be more careful with their data backup plan. A Game's source code is precious.

Yep posted about it before. They should be more careful with their data backup plan. A Game's source code is precious.
My bad, feel free to get this topic merged with the other topic.

Hopefully, some of the game codes and files can be found, or recovered from old computer drives.

I feel interviews from players and the game maker, game guides/game walkthroughs, screen captures of games, and video of game recordings can be useful for helping recreating lost game codes, and game levels by knowing how the game look like and what the gameplay is like.

Hopefully, some of the game codes and files can be found, or recovered from old computer drives.

I feel interviews from players and the game maker, game guides/game walkthroughs, screen captures of games, and video of game recordings can be useful for helping recreating lost game codes, and game levels by knowing how the game look like and what the gameplay is like.
That's not the issue, the issue is that they need the raw code to either recompile the code with different DRM included or recompile with some small bug fixes.

That's not the issue, the issue is that they need the raw code to either recompile the code with different DRM included or recompile with some small bug fixes.

I see. Hopefully, SquareEnix finds the raw code to recompile the code.

at this point the data is most likely gone.

That is too bad. Hopefully, most of the game makers are still alive, and want to work for SquareEnix to remake the game. Older workers may have copies of the code on their personal computers, web servers, and removable storage like USB flash drives, floppies, CD, and external hard drives. Some coders may also have paper copies of the codes which they printed up on paper and stored in a book.

Back