froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
It seems last week's Final Fantasy XIV kerfuffle had even more fallout than we thought. In an announcement on the company's official corporate site today, Square Enix drastically reduced its earnings forecasts for the remainder of the fiscal year from 12 billion yen (approx. $142.4 million USD) to just 1 billion yen ($11.9 million) - a decrease of 91.7%

In explaining the move, the company cited the delay of Deus Ex: Human Revolution as well as Final Fantasy XIV failing to achieve "the level of customer satisfaction that fans of our FINAL FANTASY franchise have come to expect." The delay of the PlayStation 3 version was also a factor, as it will almost certainly come out after the fiscal year ends in March 2011.

Only one month ago the company revised its figures for the first half of the fiscal year to reflect "relatively slower growth" of new game sales. While these numbers all look bad in comparison to last year's, it's worth pointing out that 2009 was a record year for Square Enix. Still, at least one Japanese blog is calling this "the beginning of the end."

1up

Oh no , I hope this does not affect future Final Fantasy games.

I hope not as well, but I'm not surprise at this.

That's bad. Square is the best! I hope they do better with their future better titles.

I think SquareEnix should try to make different types of games since most of the games they make are RPGs. If they made more fighters, shooters, and sim games they might be able to earn more like EA.

their last shooter game was a flop (FF 7 dirge of ceraberus).

Indeed, I think if Square used whole new characters and not make it FF7 related. Their Shooters might do better if they can make a game as popular as Halo, Doom, and Duke Nukem.

I haven't met a ton of RPG fans which are also very big shooter fans.

Indeed, I think if Square used whole new characters and not make it FF7 related. Their Shooters might do better if they can make a game as popular as Halo, Doom, and Duke Nukem.

I haven't met a ton of RPG fans which are also very big shooter fans.

problem was, FF 7 was ripe for a shooter. it had Barret, Vincent, president Rufus, turks, soldiers and they stuck it to one person only. but there may be a DoC 2.

Final Fantasy 8 might be good for a shooter as well with Squal's Gun Blade and Irvine's guns/pistols.

Actually SE makes things other than RPG's. I don't want to list them, so look it up on Wikipedia.

Back