Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from Nintendolife:

This comes directly from Takashi Kiryu, the company's President and Representative Director, who addresses a question that posits whether Square Enix is facing difficulties spreading its resources over so many bases:

"It has less to do with our development function and more to do with the numerous entries in our lineup. I want to structure our development function so that we are able to ensure higher quality from each title by slimming down our lineup."
When asked to elaborate on why it's taken until now to make such a decision, Kiryu said:

"As our customers’ needs and the types of devices available have diversified, we have tried to produce hits by developing a wide variety of titles rather than by focusing only on certain ones. I believe that this has resulted in the splintering of our resource pool.

"Meanwhile, there have been clear winners and losers among the major titles released recently in the gaming market, and it has become possible for even indies titles to make their presence felt. The market is increasingly polarized between blockbuster and indie titles, but I feel that we have developed many titles that fell somewhere in the middle. I want to make clearer distinctions going forward."

Wonder if they will just focus on FF and DQ games from now on?
I hope not. Like the excellent triangle Strategy, needs a sequel in full 3d.

Hopefully, Square Enix sliming down their lineup won't lead to a lot of game workers losing their jobs because of SquareEnix making fewer games.

more on SE game Dev plans, read from gematsu:

Kiryu reportedly outlined a plan to reduce outsourced development and focus in-house large-scale game development in order to improve game quality and profit margins.

“We are performing a zero-base review to determine what kind of organizational structure is necessary to realize the contents of our pipeline, and which approach is best,” Kiryu said.

Specifics about the new structure will not be announced until spring at the earliest, he added.

Several securities analysts who attended the call said the new structure is planned to go into effect in April. This reportedly includes a new system of checks to judge the quality of games at earlier stages of development.

Back