Multi Star Wars : Knights Of The Old Republic Remake

I figured the game was good as dead.

So now one of Saber Interactive‘s Eastern European studios is developing the game.

Read from Gematsu:

Aspyr had been developing the remake for more than two years, but bosses at the studio told staff in July that the game was “on pause” as the company tried to figure out its next move, the report reads. And rumors that Saber Interactive would be taking over quickly swirled within the studio.

Both Aspyr and Saber Interactive are subsidiaries of Embracer Group. Last week, the Group announced that one of its AAA projects has transitioned to another studio within the Group, but did not specify which title. “This was done to ensure the quality bar is where we need it to be for the title,” the company said. “We are not expecting any material delays for the title based on this transition.”

Decision makers at Embracer Group and at publishers Sony Interactive Entertainment and Disney were reportedly displeased with the game’s progress under Aspyr, which ultimately led to the transition. However, some close to the project told Bloomberg they are optimistic this will lead to a better product.
I think they just need to realize it's a licensed remake so people are still expected to buy it regardless of quality and some people might not be happy with this new change in the case they lose out.

Embracer refuses to provide an update on the current status of the KOTOR Remake, read from tweaktown:

One of Embracer's more high-profile games currently in development is the full remake of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, one of the most beloved RPGs of all time. This one has the backing of Sony, too, and will supposedly be a PlayStation 5 exclusive. However, with the game apparently in development hell, with Saber Interactive taking over from original studio Aspyr and Sony subsequently removing trailers for the game and references to it from its various channels - it might not see the light(saber) of day.

To make matters worse, as part of Embracer Group's Q2 earnings call, someone asked CEO Lars Wingefors about the game's status, and his response was a little concerning.

"I noticed that anything I say to this becomes a headline," Lars Wingefors responded when asked about the KOTOR remake. "So that is my only comment." It's kind of funny because no news is still news when it comes to something like the KOTOR remake, which, if done right, could be one of the best Star Wars games of all time. Even just an "it's still being worked on, and progress is good" would have sufficed.

It's been a while since we've heard anything about the project, with Embracer noting back in May that it still exists - however, in light of recent news surrounding trouble at the company and mass layoffs and studio closures, the next bit of news we receive could be about the game and project being canceled.

Game is still in the works according to Saber's CEO, read from VGC:

“It’s clear and it’s obvious that we’re working on this,” Karch replied. “It’s been in the press numerous times.

“What I will say is that the game is alive and well, and we’re dedicated to making sure we exceed consumer expectations.”

Despite Karch’s suggestion that the KoTOR remake’s status is “obvious”, there have been questions around the game’s development for some time.

Back