Steam for linux

Mascot Tom

Don't be that guy
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
13607897491steam.jpg

nibulix said:
Linux users rejoice! Valve has just released the official Steam client for Linux. At the same time, a huge celebration sale of all Linux games hast been started on Steam. There are 50% to 75% discounts on all games for Linux.
Moreover, Valve advertises Linux as a gaming platform and recommends using Ubuntu.

Read more here: http://steamforlinux.com/?q=en/node/169

So glad this happened. I would try it out, had it not been for the fact that I just uninstalled my Linux distro and have no more disk space to experiment with it.

I wish I had an extra computer with a decent video card to try Steam for Linux. 50%-75% off all games for Linux sounds like a great deal. I might try Steam for Linux when I buy a new desktop or laptop computer in the future.

I'm just glad they have Counter-Strike on the Linux side at the very least. I have something to experiment with once I free up some disk space.

If steam 4 Linux becomes the success that it likely will be, Other companies may follow suit and Microsoft's stranglehold on PC gaming will have finally been broken.

I tried a couple of games already and they run properly.
Just be ready for hours of frustration depending on your install, it can be a pain in the @$$ if some of your hardware aren't compatible with your distribution.

I tried a couple of games already and they run properly.
Just be ready for hours of frustration depending on your install, it can be a pain in the @$$ if some of your hardware aren't compatible with your distribution.
Amen to that sh!t.

Steam for Linux finally made an Opensuse RPM.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux

Now I have no excuse. I'm trying it.

Was Steam not already available for Linux? I thought it was PC, Mac, and Linux compatible?

Somehow mine kept crashing when I was using it on Wine or POL.
Well, that's because wine kinda sucks anyway. A native build is always going to work better then a pseudo-emulated build running through a virtual OS.

Even if Steam did work on wine, there was no guarantee any games would.

Well, that's because wine kinda sucks anyway. A native build is always going to work better then a pseudo-emulated build running through a virtual OS.

Even if Steam did work on wine, there was no guarantee any games would.

And the few games that did work lagged too much to be played properly.
At least now we are sure to get Linux compatible games.

Checked the game list and CS is like the only good series, if they get more games for it then i will be interested.

I'm still waiting on the Left 4 Dead 2 port that the developers spent all that time trying to get working properly. During the process of making the Steam port a few months ago, the developers blog showed off all the screenshots of how they got it to work and even bragged that it had a higher FPS than in their windows machine.

I'm still waiting on Left 4 Dead 3! And what about Linux makes it so popular? The OS feels weird to me. My friend installed it on his Mac, and honestly, not really liking it.

I'm still waiting on Left 4 Dead 3! And what about Linux makes it so popular? The OS feels weird to me. My friend installed it on his Mac, and honestly, not really liking it.

Linux main reason for being popular for a lot of people is because it is free meaning it costs no money to own, and all future upgrades are free unlike Windows and Mac OS X which cost hundreds of dollars to buy, and the upgrades for the operating system cost 100-200 dollars as well for Windows.

Newer versions of Linux also can be installed on older computers because Linux System Requirements are low, so a computer with slower parts can run Linux instead of using Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

"Linux" is just a kind of operating system. There are a dozen and a half Linux distros out there (Even I made one using install scripts and a GUI) and they are all different. It really depends on the distro you're working with.

I really need to get around to trying this shit out already. :cool:

Back