Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Steam is getting its very own operating system, Valve announced today. It'll be a combination of Steam's current platform and Linux.

SteamOS is a free operating system designed for living rooms that Valve says "combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen."

Valve says they've already got "hundreds of games" that will come to the new operating system next year, including AAA titles, and that you'll be able to access the entire Steam catalog via "in-home streaming," a process they haven't quite explained yet. (We've reached out to a number of publishers, including EA, Activision, Square Enix, and Ubisoft, to see who's planning to develop or port games for SteamOS.)

"In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level," Valve writes. "Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases."

The games pictured on the new SteamOS website are Trine 2, Metro: Last Light, Europa Universalis IV, Rome II: Total War, and Football Manager 2013.

Valve also announced four new features that will be available both for SteamOS and the standard Steam platform: streaming, family sharing, parental restrictions, and options for movies, music, and other media.

"SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers," Valve writes. "Stay tuned in the coming days for more information."
source

interesting news, anyone here think they might get this?

Demon_Skeith said:
What if it ends up being better?
All of my games run on Windows. Sure, later on developers are going to start porting/creating games for the OS, but that'll take some time. Plus I'm expecting this is for gaming. I also have to use my computer for various other tasks. Will popular web browsers like Google Chrome and FireFox create versions of their program for it? What about other software companies? (Adobe, etc)

The current Steam web browser isn't the best, :/ 

Marc said:
All of my games run on Windows. Sure, later on developers are going to start porting/creating games for the OS, but that'll take some time. Plus I'm expecting this is for gaming. I also have to use my computer for various other tasks. Will popular web browsers like Google Chrome and FireFox create versions of their program for it? What about other software companies? (Adobe, etc)

The current Steam web browser isn't the best, :/ 
You can install more than one OS on a PC, use windows to browse and steam to play.

Demon_Skeith said:
You can install more than one OS on a PC, use windows to browse and steam to play.
Why would I do that when I can play the games straight from the Windows 7 OS? Not to mention that I can't play my Win7 Steam games on SteamOS. 

I heard there are 2 more announcements from Steam this week.

I may install Steam OS when I have the time, or buy a PC with Steam OS if it is cheaper than Windows PC. I think if Steam OS has a lot of free to play games like Dota 2, Team Fotress 2, etc, a lot of people may install Steam OS since Steam OS is also free, so people who like free software, operating system and games may give Steam OS a try.

Steam OS also uses less RAM, CPU, and other system resources because Linux is more light weight than Windows, so Steam OS is a good OS for slower gaming computers.

Marc said:
Why would I do that when I can play the games straight from the Windows 7 OS? Not to mention that I can't play my Win7 Steam games on SteamOS. 
I don't know, but I know a kid at school who has 5 different versions of Windows on his PC.

FantasyFanMan said:
So will this replace Steam Box?
If many speculations are correct, it should be announced that this will work with the steam box that should be revealed tomorrow.

I heard about this today on the news. While I'm not sold on it yet, I definitely want to do more reading. It sounds interesting, and if I could eventually play my steam games on my TV, that would be awesome!

I read that the Steam Box would be made by more than one console company who make living room PC which will install Steam OS on their PC, and the Steam Box is now called the Steam Machine.

Back