Taiko no Tatsujin: scam exposed!

テクニカル諏訪子

土着神
Full GL Member
Credits
Profile Music
This was originally meant to be a reply to Kita regarding the comment about EA being well known for being money hungry.
However, I wanted to say that Bandai Namco is even worse in this case since it's nowadays weaponising Taiko no Tatsujin, making it a far more expensive game where overseas people can access it.
Then the post became too lengthy to be a response inside of a "funny picture" topic, so I thought it would need a separate topic instead.

In the first 20 years, it was playable in game centres and on consoles in its full glory.

But then the iOS/Android came out, and only bundled the game with 5 songs, and the rest had to be filled up with DLC packs containing a few songs worth up to 2000 yen each.
They are doing the same thing with the Switch version too, and already did so with PS Vita and PS4; bundle an already expensive game with a few boring songs, and then provide the rest via paid DLC packs.
iOS, Android, Switch, PS Vita, and PS4 versions are the only ones that can be played legally on devices sold overseas as well.

Noticed a pattern? Good! Because the most outrageous part is about to come.

Here in Tokyo alone, Taiko arcade cabinets (despite all being the same game with the same content) also varies in every game centre.
In places where foreign tourists don't commonly come (like the very place where I live), the game is playable for 100 yen (1 player) or 200 yen (2 players), and gives you up to 4 rounds.
In places where foreign tourists are common (like Akihabara or Ikebukuro), prices vary between 100 yen (1 player) or 200 yen (2 players), and (most commonly) 200 yen (1 player) or 400 yen (2 players), and on top of that they give you either 2 rounds or 3 rounds, basically the more common foreign tourists are in a given game centre, the more expensive it gets to everyone.

And in every cabinet it's also true that if you keep losing, the game takes 1 round away from you.
Foreign tourists are generally really bad at this game (though I've seen a few exceptions that were really good at it), while foreign residents and Japanese nationals are generally really good at this game (again, exceptions exist).

So I've noticed how a fun and cute game has turned into a scam these days, mostly targeting the people who do not reside in Japan.
What do you think? Please respond.

Edit:
Why did the topic title get mongled from "Taiko no Tatsujin: scam exposed!" to "Taiko no Tatsujin Wii"?

The world is a business and money must be made. Simple as that.

And not sure on the title.

The world is a business and money must be made. Simple as that.
Of course I know that, but that was not the point.
The point is that unlike what EA and others are doing, BanNam seems to purposely targeting foreigners when it comes to making profit, and at the same time spare the locals.
That's the part I find so disgusting, as I believe that either you target everyone or no one (by that I mean things like target group should be based on preference, not nationality), just don't make use of the fact certain group of people don't know what is better or worse!

Back