Tech Hasn't Killed Books Yet

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Pew’s most recent study found “the share of Americans who have read a book in the last 12 months (73%) has remained largely unchanged since 2012,” when 74% of Americans had read a book in the past year. Amongst the people who said they read in 2016—Pew surveyed 1,520 Americans over the phone—65% had read a print book. Only 28% had read an ebook and 14% had listened to an audiobook. In 2012, the same percentage of people had read a print book, and 23% had read an ebook and 13% had listened to an audiobook. Not a significant change.

Read More

I think one of reasons that people prefer books is that readers can re-sell or donate them to other readers who need to read the books.

Many college students usually re-sell their books to other students for a cheaper price, but still get back 50% or more of what they paid for the books.

A physical book also does not require electricity to read, and you can't lose access to your books like a eReader which can break, and cause you to not be able to read all your books until you buy a new eReader, and re-download all your books,.

I find it faster to flip through a book than to scroll through one on a tech device.

Each has some advantages over the other which ensure that, for the time, neither will consume the other.

Like mentioned books don't require power, they can be read as long as there is light. (Even if it's candle light...) plus it's easy to put a bookmark in, highlight info or whatnot.
On the flip side though books can be heavy (if you have a lot of them) so having an e-reader/tablet/whatever that can store hundreds of books with no change in weight is nice. Plus some readers have additional options like a built in dictionary so if there's a word your not familiar with you can easily look it up.
But having to worry about the power level of your device sucks.

I find it faster to flip through a book than to scroll through one on a tech device.

I think most eReaders has a virtual page flip which uses a flashing animation to simulate the animation of a page flipping.

One of the good things about books is that you can use a physical bookmark to easily find pages which you bookmark with a physical bookmark, or sticky post-it note.

Back