Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A 15-year-old boy is feuding with his father over a PlayStation 5 (PS5).

He shared his situation on Reddit’s “Am I the A******? (AITA)” forum. The teenager bought himself a PS5 after landing a job. But after complaints from his younger siblings, his father is demanding the teen forfeit the PS5 to them.

“I was raised by my mom and had virtually nothing to do with my dad throughout my childhood,” he wrote. “Tragically, two years ago, I lost my mom to cancer and thus I was placed under the care of my dad. My dad has remarried and has two sons (5 and 7) with his wife. It wasn’t a bad arrangement at first, but we were all essentially strangers.”

“About 10 months ago, I was lucky enough to score a casual job at an aged care facility as IT support. I decked out my room with a new TV, headphones and a PS5. Obviously, this setup was of great interest to my two step-brothers.”

At first, the older brother let his younger siblings play with the console when he wasn’t around. But after the 5-year-old broke his controller, he only allowed them to play when he was there.

“They whined to my ‘parents’ who then ‘ordered’ me to place the PS5 in the living room,” he explained. “I refused, stating that I had purchased it with my own money. My dad then told the boys that he was going to buy a separate PS5 for the boys for Christmas, but the dude is clueless about the global shortage.”

“Finally last night, after realizing that he had zero chance of buying one for close to [retail price], my dad threatened me to either voluntarily gift my PS5 to the boys for Christmas or he would toss it in the bin while I was at school. I was so pissed that I went on Facebook Marketplace and sold the PS5. The boys found out today and were devastated.”

source

Posted this as it hits a bit close to home, had two older brothers growing up and parents wouldn't buy a PS1. So my brothers bought one and made it very clear, they should still see it as they last left it. I took care not to damage it, despite a few rage quit games :p

As for this story, I think its clear the dad is just trying to keep the new wife happy by keeping her kids happy.

Feel bad for the kid, but its clear he needs to move out.

I think it can be good that he sold the PS5 before his younger siblings somehow broke the PS5 since one of the siblings already broke a controller, and no one gets to play the PS5 if it is broken.

I feel the PS5 is not durable enough for young kids who are more likely to break it.

Don't use what isn't yours, don't make promises you can't keep. With authority brings judgment. All things considered, I think as long as the older sibling could still play since he did pay for it he should have the say. That's like buying a house and having the government take it away from you because the homeless need shelter. Could've had him toss it in the bin like an arrogant parent would and then he would be in the wrong. Shame they don't make portable modern Playstation like seriously that's all that they needed to make this work. But look what's being scalped and making money while Sony fails to do anything different.

I remember reading this a while back. I like that he sold it although it's a shame that he had to do that. Surprisingly, the step mom ended up supporting him when he posted the update. Can't remember if he ended up getting another PS5.

I feel if he put the PS5 on an eBay Auction, there maybe a chance that he could earn enough money for e PS5, and a Nintendo Switch.

I think Facebook Marketplace is not as popular as eBay for selling electronics and game consoles.

I remember reading this a while back. I like that he sold it although it's a shame that he had to do that. Surprisingly, the step mom ended up supporting him when he posted the update. Can't remember if he ended up getting another PS5.

can't find the update or realize this was old, but glad to hear things cleared up.

I feel if he put the PS5 on an eBay Auction, there maybe a chance that he could earn enough money for e PS5, and a Nintendo Switch.

I think Facebook Marketplace is not as popular as eBay for selling electronics and game consoles.
eBay gets a cut tho. Not sure if it was Mercari either as I've seen ads for that one as well as used goods online.

Yeah, funny how sharing what you do on the internet can make others of different age really question it or want to butt in and tell you how wrong you are and in the end no one is happy.

Back