Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
sxi8D1V.jpg

"Gaming tablet". Now that's one we haven't heard in quite a while. With a few exceptions, like Archos' now silent GamePad, or Acer's odd-looking Predator, or NVIDIA's stylus-less SHIELD Tablet K1, most tablets do not usually advertise game-ability. Multimedia and processing power, sure, but nothing close to gaming on big displays. JXD, however, isn't giving up the fight just yet. The same Chinese OEM who brought us a PSP-alike Android tablet is now putting up the JXD S192 on pre-order, promising the power of NVIDIA's Tegra K1 chip in a different, unique, and more odd-looking package.

And as an Android tablet, this is definitely not a shoddy device either. At the forefront is NVIDIA's Tegra K1 processor, still a beast in the field, though we still yearn for a Tegra X1 portable gaming device that is not a TV Box. The screen is a 7-inch 1920x1200 display, which gives it a bit more pixel density than an equivalent SHIELD Tablet K1. The two, however, have similar 2 GB RAM, which will undoubtedly become the bottleneck in this setup. Storage is 32 GB, double that of the SHIELD Tablet. And the battery is a humongous 10,000 mAh pack. It even has a 13 megapixel main camera, for whatever reason you might want to use it.

In short, it could give the SHIELD Tablet K1 a run for its money, except you'll hardly be able to use the JXD S192 for anything other than gaming. It's possible, sure, but perhaps unwieldy and awkward. It also runs a very old Android 4.2.2. That's still Jelly Bean, for you Android fans. A key information missing from the product page is whether it will be possible to map physical buttons to screen ones. Not all games support gamepads yet, even on Android, and some like Archos and other accessory makers have provided apps to make that mapping. As a gaming tablet, that should be major feature bullet point.

If that has still left you wanting for this device, the JXD S192 "NVIDIA Android Retro Gaming Tablet" carries a price tag of 219.99 GBP, roughly $316. It's still in pre-order now, but shipping is scheduled to start 6th of May.

Read More

This tablet looks good for playing PC and console games which got ported to Android, or play clones of console games like Shadowgun which is similar to Gears of War.

I like the built-in controller.

I have a JXD unit and they are fucking liars where battery life and capacity is concerned.

My S7800b is advertized as having a 5000mAh battery, even on the JXD site itself, and it is really 2100mAh. I know this, because I checked it.

That said as nice as this looks there is no way in hell I'd trust them again.

I can't get a refund because I got it off eBay and had to go through a lot of shit to get it here on time before my trip..

Aside from the battery issues, it plays nice but there is an issue where if I reboot my device, I lose all of the apps that were installed to my sd card.. and the device gets very hot and the adapter it came with smells like melted electrical wires..

So even after I got it I had to wait another week for an adapter to arrive from Amazon.

I have a JXD unit and they are fucking liars where battery life and capacity is concerned.

My S7800b is advertized as having a 5000mAh battery, even on the JXD site itself, and it is really 2100mAh. I know this, because I checked it.

That said as nice as this looks there is no way in hell I'd trust them again.

I can't get a refund because I got it off eBay and had to go through a lot of shit to get it here on time before my trip..

Aside from the battery issues, it plays nice but there is an issue where if I reboot my device, I lose all of the apps that were installed to my sd card.. and the device gets very hot and the adapter it came with smells like melted electrical wires..

So even after I got it I had to wait another week for an adapter to arrive from Amazon.

sounds really bad.

Back