Texas inmates are now barred from using social media

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Inmates in Texas prisons are now barred from using any form of social media, under a rule that was implemented this month. As Fusion reports, the measure prohibits inmates from "maintaining active social media accounts for the purposes of soliciting, updating, or engaging others," and bars their friends or family from operating social media accounts in their name. The rule was added to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice's offender handbook on April 11th.

Read More

I wonder could this cause Prison's to treat their inmates more unfairly now that inmates have no way to post problems with their prison like fights, theft, and unclean living conditions on the internet, or more easily use social networks contact people outside of prison to raise awareness about bad living conditions.

*face palm.*

First off, if someone is in jail they are in jail for a reason. I don't care if they have bad conditions, its what happens when you screw up your life. Second, social media accounts? Why do inmates have it better than the homeless?

Not everyone goes to jail for crimes they voluntarily committed. Involuntary crimes put thousands of people in jail every year.

regretfully so, but does not excuse the fact that inmates live better than those who work hard for a living or those who can't work at all.

Not everyone goes to jail for crimes they voluntarily committed. Involuntary crimes put thousands of people in jail every year.

There may also be some innocent people who are in prison or jail for protesting at a protest which became a riot. But, the police may of wrongfully captured innocent protesters who were protesting at a protest which became a riot started by criminals who don't care about the protest.

Some prisoners may need to use social networking sites like YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook to prove they are innocent if they or other people uploaded videos and pictures of them peacefully protesting, and not rioting.

Prisoners may also need to use Social sites to contact their friends, family, and witnesses who can prove they are innocent of a crime. A lot of prisoners don't have access to a phone on a regular basis, so using Facebook, Twitter, etc can be one of the few ways to contact people who can help you prove your innocence.

regretfully so, but does not excuse the fact that inmates live better than those who work hard for a living or those who can't work at all.

Inmates have food, water, and shelter. But, they lost most of their freedoms, and have to live with violent criminals, and strict prison guards, so I wouldn't necessarily say they live better than non-prisoners.

At least, the poor, and unemployed can choose to do different things, go to school to learn a new skill, and do stuff like go to the park, beach, and other places.

Last edited:
I think they allow inmates to study and practice some hobbies in prisons. I'm not exactly sure, but in some countries they are allowed and even encouraged to take up hobbies such as painting, theater, carpenting and some prisons even have chapels where they can go to pray.

I think some social media sites like LinkedIn which is use for keeping in touch with employers, and finding work can be useful to prisoners who are going to be released from prison in the future. Prisoners need to find employment after prison, and LinkedIN, and other employment related social networks are useful for finding out what jobs are in demand, what type of skills they need to learn, and places which are hiring people.

Back