The 2 Koreas met, would the silent war finally end now?

テクニカル諏訪子

土着神
Full GL Member
Credits
Profile Music
At least, their leaders have met, and crossed each others' borders too.
Both sides have agreed to fully denuclearise the peninsula, and seek joint talks with both the USA and China.

What are your takes?

I smell betrayal, but maybe it's just my sense to not trust other people. Maybe things will work out and we won't be all doom and gloom about the looming of World War III. I guess only time will tell, but right now things are starting to look up.

My only fear would be a repeat of Libya: demand the country to disarm itself, and once it has finished doing so, bomb the hell out of it and kill its leader for reasons that have never been proven to be true.

In my case this fear is not only limited to a potential interruption of peace, but also a geographical one.
Since China and Russia are no friends of the USA, the US troops will either have to station in South Korea or Japan, or launch attacks from the US itself.
And seeing warfare high in the sky or on the ground every single day is far from what I would like to witness. w

Anyone know why NK has become friendly all of a sudden? Even though I assume NK is still in WW 2 Germany state.

North Korea isn't "friendly all of a sudden", it's just a country with a different view from South Korea, which is the reason why they were kept separate for multiple decades.
While NK was aligned with the Soviet Union and then went alone after its fall, and did everything to survive on their own, SK joined alliance with the US, which on their turn kept pressuring SK to stay at war.

And unlike the previous leaders of both countries, both current leaders were seeking for peace all along.
The north already started in public when they were discussing with the south about their participation in the Olympic games that have been held earlier this year.

Kim Jong Un (North Korea) did make lots of efforts to modernise his country, like setting up a computer store, creating a political party rather than just having himself to have all the say, and since the missile tests have been loud in the worldwide media, he did state multiple times he wanted to just talk with both the US and China to make peace not war.

Moon Jae-in (South Korea) stated multiple times before he wanted to make attempts to unify the 2 Koreas as one of his long term projects.
He also expressed that if realistic he would consider to support the double freeze agreement that China and Russia have proposed to Kim and first Obama and then Trump multiple times before, to which Kim always agreed to, but both Obama and Trump did not.
The double freeze agreement was about NK stopping their missile tests, and in return US would stop their constant military drills at the NK/SK border.

So in the end, both leaders were seeking to end the war, but opinions on how to do so kept them divided, and they finally found a common ground.

Still can't deny that Nk spent most of their money on weapons in the last few years instead of helping their starving public?
Could be, but in this sense the US doesn't do any better spending most of their money on warfare in the last 3 decades instead of putting the biggest economy in the world in infrastructure, health care, education, and other internal affairs.
All while their national debt is literally growing by the second, and doesn't seem to have a ceiling either since they can raise that anytime they want.

The Korean war ended according to the local news on TV. I think the war most likely would not restart since both sides agreed to officially end the war.

The many older senior citizens in South Korean may make war less likely.

South Koreans population is aging where there are many older South Koreans over 65 years old, and there are a lot of people who are over 40. I feel older people generally are not interested in war because older people may of experience war when they were young, or knew an older person who know war is very dangerous.

A lot of older South Koreans want to meet their North Korean relatives, and some younger South Koreans may want to meet their North Korean relatives.

There are probably a lot of older North Koreans who also feel war would not improve their lives, and their relatives lives in both North and South Korea.

Anyone know why NK has become friendly all of a sudden? Even though I assume NK is still in WW 2 Germany state.

Probably the Phantom Thieves changed Kim's heart lol wonder what kind of "palace" and "treasure" he had inside him and the boss battle.

Back