Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Just Read from Kotaku on it:

The Trump administration has plans to tax all Chinese-made clothes and electronics imported into the US. Those taxes would be passed onto the consumer in the form of price hikes.

As Nikkei notes, Trump’s plan would see a 25 percent tax on the Nintendo Switch in the US, where around forty percent of all Switches are sold. This tax would lead to a more expensive product.

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa is quoted as saying, “The effect on business is huge, so we are closely watching what happens next.”

Just Read from Kotaku on it:

The Trump administration has plans to tax all Chinese-made clothes and electronics imported into the US. Those taxes would be passed onto the consumer in the form of price hikes.

As Nikkei notes, Trump’s plan would see a 25 percent tax on the Nintendo Switch in the US, where around forty percent of all Switches are sold. This tax would lead to a more expensive product.

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa is quoted as saying, “The effect on business is huge, so we are closely watching what happens next.”

It started from the Huawei and now we are here :grin:

Reactions: cm2
Next time I see a trump voter, I'm punching them in the face, I don't care where I am or what I am doing, they are getting an ass kicking.

Yakuza MC, Kiryu's Dragon Kick!
1489469457893.png

Last edited:
This is unfortunate news for gamers who plan to get gaming hardware. I wonder if this trade war will cause gaming companies like Microsoft to build more of their game consoles, and game console parts like CPU and RAM in America to avoid expensive Trade Wars.

Just read from The Wall Street Journal, Nintendo is shifting some production of its Switch videogame console to Southeast Asia from China to limit the impact of possible U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electronics. A Nintendo spokesperson told the WSJ that the console is now mostly made in China, and said the platform holder always explores new options for where it can manufactures its games and consoles.

Just read from The Wall Street Journal, Nintendo is shifting some production of its Switch videogame console to Southeast Asia from China to limit the impact of possible U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electronics. A Nintendo spokesperson told the WSJ that the console is now mostly made in China, and said the platform holder always explores new options for where it can manufactures its games and consoles.

do what you got to do.

Good thing I got it early then. No need to worry. Hopefully games won't cost more. They hardly have big Switch game discounts on the ones I want anyway.

Read some more from Reuters:

Nintendo plans to shift part of the production of its Switch gaming console to Vietnam from China to diversify manufacturing sites, a spokeswoman at the Japanese video game maker told Reuters on Tuesday.

The move would make Nintendo the latest company to relocate production out of China amid a Sino-U.S. trade war punctuated by tit-for-tat import tariffs spanning industries. Nintendo, which outsources almost all Switch console production to contract manufacturers in China, plans to make the partial shift to Vietnam this summer, the spokeswoman said.

The shift is aimed at diversifying risks and not to escape the impact of potential tariff hikes by Washington on products imported to the United States from China, the spokeswoman added.

Crazy that a little spat between a president and another country ruins it for the people. But then again, it's Trump so it's expected really. Can't wait to see what or who he tries to start a war with next

I'll be happy for you guys but I don't have much confidence right now. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting another four :flushed:

Update on the matter, from kotaku:

A 10 percent tax on video game consoles and other consumer electronics has been delayed until December 15, the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) announced today. According to President Trump, the purpose of the delay is to prevent the tariffs from hurting the holiday shopping season.

The next round of tariffs in the Trump administration’s ongoing trade-war with China is set to go into effect on September 1, but following today’s news it will no longer include game consoles like the Xbox One, PS4, or Nintendo Switch. “As part of USTR’s public comment and hearing process, it was determined that the tariff should be delayed to December 15 for certain articles,” the USTR said in a press release. “Products in this group include, for example, cell phones, laptop computers, video game consoles, certain toys, computer monitors, and certain items of footwear and clothing.”

“We’re doing this for the Christmas season,” Trump said earlier today when asked about the delays. “Just in case some of the tariffs would have an impact on U.S. customers.” The fall and holiday seasons are when many of the biggest games of the year release, and when console manufacturers tend to see a big uptick in the number of new systems sold.

Good on the delay, by the time it comes around Trump should be gone.

Yep and hopefully democracy will not let us down next time and it will not be Trump V2...

I heard on the news that the Tariff may not include game consoles until after the holidays.

should be delayed forever, hopefully.

I bet, there is a chance that there won't be any tariffs since most people don't want to pay more for electronics and video game accessories, and a lot of people who vote for Trump may less likely to vote for Trump if the price of video games and consoles cost more.

Read more stuff on it, from Gamesindustry biz, Bloomberg, Cnbc:

Trump administration was looking for ways to limit the growth and spread of US investors' portfolios in China. Ideas suggested including delisting Chinese companies from US stock exchanges and limiting the US populace's exposure to Chinese markets.

CNBC reported that the White House was additionally considering blocking all US investments in China, though these discussions are said to still be in early stages and there are no specifics, such as time frames, for their implementation.

Given the lack of details thus far, it's unclear as to what impact this might have on the US gaming industry. Analyst Michael Pachter suggested that gaming might not be affected at all given that very few US game companies "invest" in China in a way that such a ban might impact. Rather, companies more commonly turn to Chinese partners to distribute products, or form joint ventures with them to localize and operate their titles for the market.

"It's not legal for the US government to unilaterally impose restrictions on investment unless they formally sanction the target for some trade or other violation," he said. "We can restrict investment in Iran because we labeled it a sponsor of terrorism, but as far as I know, we haven't labeled China anything more than a currency manipulator. Regardless, I don't see an issue for US games companies.

"The US can only regulate US companies, and can't tell Sony, Nintendo or Ubisoft what to do."

Back