froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Samsung smart TVs, which drew criticism on release for their always-on voice command system. According to WikiLeaks, the exploit makes the television “operate as a bug, recording conversations in the room and sending them over the Internet to a covert CIA server.” The documents themselves paint a more ambiguous picture, with possible applications focusing on credential extraction rather than direct audio recording.

Read More

This is not good news for Samsung since people who take their privacy more seriously are now less likely to buy a Samsung TV, and other Samsung products after reading about these reports on the News.

I think if you want to protect your privacy, it is best to use buy a regular HDTV without smart features.

If you need to use a settop box, using a separate settop box for Netflix, using a Roku, or PC will be more private since you can unplug your Roku or PC when not in use, so no one can hack the microphone on the remotes on your settop box or PC.

Good thing mine isn't online.

Good thing mine isn't online.

Your TV maybe seen as offline, but there is still a chance that a hacker can use his hacking skills to connect his own Wi-Fi or Bluetooth network to your smart TV, and change the wi-fi connected icon and wi-fi settings menu to the disconnected symbol and text without you noticing just by looking at the settings, and symbols on your TV's screen.

Back