Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake releases on September 20, 2019:

I'm definitely going to get this. I'm just not sure if it'll be a day one buy or not.

Just read Kotaku Jason's Interview with Aonuma-San on the remake:

Eiji Aonuma: The original game was released 26 years ago on the Game Boy. Getting that Game Boy version is a little hard to do these days. So I’ve wanted to remake this game for a while.

When I create a remake or reimagination, I don’t want to just make it completely the same; I always want to incorporate new elements. For even people who have played the original, I want it to be a fresh experience. So I was looking for that opportunity.

There was also a discussion separately of an idea of incorporating something where users can arrange something on their own in the game. In Zelda, I was thinking what that could be. We landed on the idea of dungeons. When we were thinking about arranging dungeons, creating a puzzle on your own is always a little bit hard, so we thought, “What’s an easy way to have players be able to arrange things?” We thought maybe room arrangement or a map arrangement would be an easy way, and it’d feel like solving a puzzle. That’s how we landed on the [dungeon editor] Chamber Dungeons.

Jason Schreier: When you guys are planning out Zelda games, what makes you decide to go with a remake as opposed to a sequel like Link Between Worlds?

Aonuma: Everything’s case by case; each title’s a little bit different. There could be times where we start with the idea of “let’s make a remake,” and then add new elements. Or if we’re creating a sequel, sometimes it could be that there’s something that would be fitting for a sequel versus a remake or something else. Again, it’s case by case.

Schreier: Developers tend to be creative people who want to be doing new things—is it challenging to do a 1:1 recreation without having the urge to tweak and change things?

Aonuma: I guess in some ways yeah, we are a little bit restricted on going wild and free with new ideas. But at the same time we have the creative opportunity to think about how to maintain the original essence. We would have to think about things we would change or improve on or polish to make a remake. In that way, I think it’s a very creative process.

For this game specifically, we thought about the original game and people who have already played it, but we also wanted to make it accessible for new players. So we incorporated both perspectives, and that’s how we tweaked the game this time around, with both ideas and the feedback.

Schreier: What made you guys decide not to add any new dungeons?

Aonuma: Obviously we have improved the original version, and we wanted to do that. But also we wanted to keep that memory of originally playing the game—the essence of what made that game what it is, and by recalling your memory for the past when you have beaten it, if you have beaten it, I think that makes it even more impressionable if you play it again.

Schreier: If this Chamber Dungeon mode is successful, will you make Zelda Maker?

Aonuma: I can’t predict the future, but if people do love this idea of arranging dungeons, I’ll keep that in mind going forward.

But there's a friggin Link's Awakening DX just sitting on the 3DS eShop store shelf. Are you trying to make 3DS obsolete? I'd just like to play the GBC version anywhere possible besides the emulator before I try this one because the price might be the catch.

But there's a friggin Link's Awakening DX just sitting on the 3DS eShop store shelf. Are you trying to make 3DS obsolete? I'd just like to play the GBC version anywhere possible besides the emulator before I try this one because the price might be the catch.

Nintendo is doing a good job on getting rid of 3DS.

Back