froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
A new report reveals one interesting detail about the Switch’s development that could have made the gaming device a lot better: Android. Apparently, Nintendo was interested in having the Switch run Android, just not Google’s version.

A Cyanogen chairman revealed on Twitter that Nintendo did indeed seek out help from Cyanogen but he “told them to stick it.”

As 9to5Google explains, Cyanogen’s refusal to cooperate isn’t surprising. The Switch would have needed a special type of Android-based OS, one that would essentially be a locked down version of Android, one that Nintendo would be able to control. That’s practically against what Cyanogen was as a company.

Read More

Microsoft was also an investor in Cyanogen according to Microsoft reportedly invests in Cyanogen Inc., world predictably freaks out , so MS who owns Xbox may not be happy if Cyanogen helped Nintendo who is Xbox 2nd biggest competitor.

I wonder if Nintendo would have better chances of getting a custom Android ROM made for them if they asked Amazon to help make a Nintendo Switch version of Fire OS which is Amazon's Android OS for Kindle Fire tablets and the Fire TV box which use the Amazon App store instead of Google Play Store.

Cyanogen may not help Nintendo because they don't want to share information like their custom code, apps, and secretive info with other companies like Nintendo. Sometimes workers from other companies may steal their Android custom OS, apps, and secretive info which can be worth billions of dollars if they can turn the information and data into a full custom operating system like Google Android, Some Linux/UNIX OSes, Windows, and Apple iOS/OS X which are worth billions of dollars.

I bet, there is a chance that Nintendo may still be secretly using a custom made version of Android made by a smaller/less-popular Android OS Custom ROM maker. The Nintendo Switch uses mostly mobile parts like the Nvidia Tegra X1 which is found on some Android tablets like the Google Pixel C tablet and settop TV boxes like the Nvidia Shield TV. It is very difficult to make a custom non-Android OS for the X1 CPU and graphics chip which were mainly designed to work best on Android.

Last edited:
I remember this popping up actually back during the NX rumor mill days. Seems it was true but ill fated.

I remember this popping up actually back during the NX rumor mill days. Seems it was true but ill fated.

Nintendo Switch operating system still uses some components from Android, and a custom Kernel according to the full article at The Nintendo Switch nearly ran a custom version of Android

Nintendo apparently still used bits of Android to build the OS for the new console, mixed with a custom kernel."

Source

I'm not sure what bits of Android Nintendo used, and what custom Kernel actually means. But, It could mean a custom Android Kernel which Nintendo made themselves, or hired another custom ROM company to make it for them.

Back