The Nokia 3310 Regular Cell Phone is back and so is Snake

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
The classic mobile of the early noughties is revamped with a slimmer body, color screen and an update to Snake.

This phone looks good for people with basic needs like calling and texting, and using basic apps like the clock, calculator, and calendar.

I still think the buttons are too small.

No. Just no. Even senior citizens can learn to use a basic smartphone nowadays. I know people in their sixties and seventies who use touchscreen phones. There's really no need for these on the market.

No. Just no. Even senior citizens can learn to use a basic smartphone nowadays. I know people in their sixties and seventies who use touchscreen phones. There's really no need for these on the market.
While there are people in that age range who is able to use a smart phone, there are plenty who wouldn't be able to get their head around one. Also you need to remenber that as time goes by their fingures may start to lose feelings and may not be able to tell if they pressed on the screen hard enough.

Yes I agree, esp for the older people who can't get their head around a smart phone and just want something basic.

The original Nokia 3310 had small buttons, so adding big buttons may cause fans of the original phone to not buy this phone to collect, or use as a basic phone because they enjoyed the portability and design of their older 3310.

If you just need to make a few calls, and save most of your important numbers to your speed dial address book app on this phone, the small buttons are not a big deal for some people. I used an old Nokia phone similar to this phone many years ago, and it was good enough to make calls, type short texts, and play games like Snakes.

Some people may buy this smartphone as a collectors item like how some people buy old iPhones, and Blackberries to collect for fun. It is better to buy a Nokia 3310 from Nokia than a clone/copy version from a less trustworthy company.

Other people just need a affordable durable cell phone for calling people, and replying to a few short texts. Many people already own tablets which can use apps for iOS, Android, etc, so not owning a smartphone may not be a problem for them because they can use the same mobile apps and games like Temple Run on their tablet.

as time goes by their fingures may start to lose feelings and may not be able to tell if they pressed on the screen hard enough.
I'm sorry, what? I'm not aware of loss of feeling in fingers being a symptom that develops in elderly people.

Nice to see them back. Hopefully they prove popular with elder people wanting an easy-to-use phone. The colors are a little garish but overall they seem pretty nice. I agree though, the buttons should have been made a bit larger.

I'm sorry, what? I'm not aware of loss of feeling in fingers being a symptom that develops in elderly people.
It is definitely a thing. Here is an academic paper on it if you are interested in finding out a bit more (even if you just read the abstract). Aging Hand | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A | Oxford Academic. It is a problem and regardless older people (at least those around me) tend to have a certain stubbornness with technology. So these phones work well to accommodate that.

The Nokia 3310 maybe popular with people who don't want as many responsiblilities when owning a cell phone.

There are more responsibilities for smartphones like installing a third-party antivirus app like Avast for Android on Google Android if you don't trust Android's built-in security, updating to the latest version of Android if your phone maker ever release updates for your phone, charging your phone every few hours or once a days, screen repairs, battery replacements and other hardware repairs, cooling down your phone when it is overheating, running disk cleanup apps to get back more free space, and monitoring your data and bandwidth usage to avoid going over your data limit.

If the user of the phone is a kid, the parent is responsible for most of the responsibilities of owning a smartphone, and their kid's app usage to make sure they are not using chat and dating apps to meet up with strangers, or playing too many mobile games when they should be doing house or school work.

It is definitely a thing. Here is an academic paper on it if you are interested in finding out a bit more (even if you just read the abstract). Aging Hand | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A | Oxford Academic. It is a problem and regardless older people (at least those around me) tend to have a certain stubbornness with technology. So these phones work well to accommodate that.
That's kind of weird considering that since medieval times, little old ladies have been known for their number one hobby - knitting. That takes a lot of hand dexterity.

That's kind of weird considering that since medieval times, little old ladies have been known for their number one hobby - knitting. That takes a lot of hand dexterity.
I should point out that this doesn't affect everyone and also if it does affect someone it could be in later years for some and early years for others.

In medieval times and beyond, the average life expectancy has increased substantially. Therefore there are more years in someones lives for these problems to start.

In medieval times and beyond, the average life expectancy has increased substantially. Therefore there are more years in someones lives for these problems to start.

I agree, as we age longer, the more health problems like finger and eye sight problems. One of the advantages of button based keypads is that you can remember most of the buttons on a phone after a few days to weeks of constant use, so you can make calls, and text without looking at the screen or buttons.

There are also young and old people with prosthetic/plastic arms because their real arm got amputated, or they were born with no hands and arms. With this phone, they can use their prosthetic arm to make calls, or somehow use their mouth to hold a stick to make calls while the phone is on a table, so they can punch in a number.

Back