Switch The Switch will have storage issues?

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
So I read this article here and in short it states that while the Nintendo Switch will support 2TB Micro SDXC, problem is there is no 2TB Micro SDXC currently on the market. At best, you can get is 200 GB card from amazon for roughly $70 but if you want to upgrade to the latest 500 GB when that is released, it will cost a couple hundred dollars.

The switch only comes with 32 gbs of internal memory, so sooner or later you're going to have to shove out some money for larger storage and several more for all your games, a somewhat flaw that killed Sony's Vita.

I don't really think this will be too much of an issue to be honest, mainly due to most of the games being cartridge based. It's a lot easier to carry around cartridges with you than it is disks, and using a cartridge means that you will not have to install much game data compared to download. We seemed to survive with physical copies of DS games for a good eight years before the eShop was introduced.

For the games you want to download, you could easily fit at least ten games the size of Breath of the Wild on a 200GB MicroSD.

So I read this article here and in short it states that while the Nintendo Switch will support 2TB Micro SDXC, problem is there is no 2TB Micro SDXC currently on the market.

Can users use multiple Micro SD Cards for the Nintendo Switch?

If the Nintendo Switch has a USB port, and support running games off a USB drive, users can plug-in a bigger sized USB thumb drive, or use a long USB cable to plug-in a USB hard drive. The Ouya, Nvidia Shield TV, and PC supports installing games to a USB drive with more storage space like 500GB or more.

I don't really think this will be too much of an issue to be honest, mainly due to most of the games being cartridge based. It's a lot easier to carry around cartridges with you than it is disks, and using a cartridge means that you will not have to install much game data compared to download. We seemed to survive with physical copies of DS games for a good eight years before the eShop was introduced.

For the games you want to download, you could easily fit at least ten games the size of Breath of the Wild on a 200GB MicroSD.

I think I read one article that question the amount of DLC and other updates that may bloat a game's size and fill up a memory card quickly.

I think I read one article that question the amount of DLC and other updates that may bloat a game's size and fill up a memory card quickly.
I don't think Nintendo's DLC will be that large. Bad example, but Fallout's largest DLC, Far Harbour, was around 3GB in size, so I doubt Nintendo's DLC will be any larger than that.

I don't think Nintendo's DLC will be that large. Bad example, but Fallout's largest DLC, Far Harbour, was around 3GB in size, so I doubt Nintendo's DLC will be any larger than that.

I think most games with less fans would be release as digital-only downloadable games because it maybe less worth it for smaller game makers to record thousands of cartridges to sell at stores, and hope they all get sold.

If you are into playing a lot of less popular games from smaller game companies, having a lot of storage is important because you can store more games on a bigger sized MicroSD storage card.

Back