Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
It's been a hell of a weekend for me folks, what started out something as simple as a host transfer turn out to be hell and more stress then I needed.

On firday night, I tried to get all the site info on to godaddy but filezilla wouldn't connect and when I used their upload I couldn't unzip any of the files. Thus I started to set up things on a back up host I had in mind and due to a mistake I had to wait till Saturday.

Saturday, I was busy all morning and afternoon and couldn't get to the hosting till early evening. When I did I tried to send them a entire back up of the site since they used the same Cpanel software. But the site and all files is 1.4GB in size nearly impossible to send. So I found a third party email site and started to send the full back up which would take about 5 hours to upload and just let that do all night. Next morning I woke up to see it stop a few KB of sending, thus making me go FUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Sunday, I just uploaded what needed to be upload but when I got to the mysql db, the forum db was to large. So I tried bigdump to break it down and I couldn't even get it started. So I went back to godaddy and this time I was able to unzip the stuff but the db upload kept timing out. Running out of time I went back to the domain DNS and set things back to the host we started out with.

so in short, it may be impossible to move this site. I'll look into some other options later this week after a nice break from things.

I really do apologize for this downtime, I made a lot of mistakes during this transfer that shouldn't have happened and could have made things quicker. I'll glad award anyone 1 million GF shards for this downtime.

so unless you guys got some ideas, were here to stay on this host for awhile.

The forum hosting section on Forum Promotions might help you out http://forumpromotion.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=54 . They have a lot of members who are very knowledgeable about Web hosting for forums.

Forum Promotions is hosted on https://my.hawkhost.com/aff.php?aff=226 according to their header on the top of their forum, and I always has fast speeds when I'm on FP, and FP is rarely down or slow. I think they are using a shared hosting account for Hawkhost, so it's about 4-10 dollars a month depending on your package.

Indeed, Forum Promotions is great for finding help with topics related to forums.

The Invision tech support forum for hosting and servers might also be helpful for finding a web host, and transfering a Invision board to another host.

http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/406-server-management-resources-optimization/

I would suggest Just Host, another good host provider I used over a year ago. I hope you can resolve this soon.

alright were going to try this once more, tomorrow night I will transfer GF to empire hosting. I assure you the forum will be up by Saturday night, success or no success.

Good luck going at it again. I will have to hold off promoting the site until then, otherwise many web directories will reject the links for being broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back