froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Flash storage company Fixstars has decided to shatter all previous flash storage records. The company’s new pair of SSD drives clock in at 10TB and 13TB respectively — larger than the largest spinning disks (Seagate just announced 8TB and 10TB hard drives).

These drives aren’t intended for consumers. Fixstars has previously stated that it optimizes its drives for sequential read/write workloads, including object storage, streaming content distribution, CG/VFX production, and video processing. The price tag on the drive further drives (badump-ching) that point home — at $19,000 for the 13TB version, this drive isn’t coming cheap. The total cost works out to about $1.46 per GB — far higher than the current cost of a conventional drive.

On the other hand, this is a 2.5-inch SSD with 13TB of data storage. Some premium is to be expected, given that it’s no trivial task to combine, test, and validate that much NAND per drive. The Fixstars 13000M uses a specialized disk controller designed by the company and 15nm Toshiba MLC NAND memory. Sequential speed is listed as 580MB/s, sequential write is 540MB/s. Power consumption is 3W at idle and up to 6.5W under load.

Read More

This SSD has a lot of storage, and speed, but for a high price.

I would love to slap that into my future PS4.

That's one hell expensive future gaming PC, just need to get $5k graphic card and the powerful cpu.

Would you rather spend on that Or get a one to two bedroom flat. However I WANT THAT SSD

I can't help but wonder why they are so pricey... :openmouth:

The SSD are created for Enterprise users who work at companies like Facebook, GoDaddy, and Google which has a lot of money to spend on SSDs for their web servers.

Aren't much to look at inside a SSD. Just a green board with very small chips lol

Is a 13TB SSD still big? I recently bought a 512GB SSD for my laptop and that ran me about $100CAD, I can only imagine what a 13TB SSD runs and this is also a thread from 2016 :O

I hear they going beyond tb LOL

I can't imagine what you'd have to do to fill up 13TB. I don't know if I could even fill up half that.....

I can't imagine what you'd have to do to fill up 13TB. I don't know if I could even fill up half that.....
GAmes, that will be all used up with 190 games, and two of my games are 600gb

I don't think I will ever have the need for 13TB but it is still a wonderful achievement. I wonder how long it will be before games start to take up large amounts of space where we need to start thinking about buying TB's of space

Back