Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Reported theft of video game systems, digital cameras, computers and other high-end consumer electronics popular as holiday gifts has soared in the past three years, even as overall property crime has fallen.

FBI data show theft of video game systems, such as Nintendo DS and Sony PlayStation, jumped 285% over three years, to 42,615 in 2009. Computer laptops reported stolen rose 32%, to 128,280 in 2009.

The holiday season is prime time for theft of electronics, FBI Special Agent Jason Pack says.

"Local and state police officers routinely see a spike in these type of crimes during the holiday season," Pack says. "Stolen electronics are easily sold on the street for quick cash."

Property crime, which includes thefts of electronics, dropped from 10 million thefts in 2006 to 9.8 million in 2008, the latest year available for the overall FBI data. The report on gadgets is based on annual data covering the period Nov. 1 to Oct. 31.

The FBI provided the consumer electronics theft data at the request of Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., who serves on the House Judiciary Committee, which oversees law enforcement. He said he sought the data after constituents told him about having their electronics stolen.

As the devices become smaller, "they seem to become bigger targets for theft," Weiner says. "It's the omnipresent, miniature electronics crime paradox: Even as crime goes down, when you have more electronics, you have more theft."

Weiner says he will propose a law to create a database of each cellphone's identifying code. The legislation would require cell service providers to block re-registration of a stolen phone, making it useless to thieves.

More than 106,000 cellphones were stolen this year, a 5% drop since such thefts spiked in 2007, the year Apple launched its iPhone, FBI data show.

"Criminals are rational. They steal things that have high value, are easily transportable and easily sold," says Larry J. Siegel, a criminologist at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell. "The most expensive thing in my house is my refrigerator, but nobody is trying to steal my refrigerator."

more here

ahh the curse of making things small, the smaller they get the easier it is to steal them.

People need to put their small electronics inside something Big like a suitcase, so it is harder to steal, or learn self-defense.

Putting it in a suitcase won't make it harder to steal.. they'll just steal that as they hold a knife or a gun to your back. There are lot of screwed up, desperate people out there and between what can happen both in the street, and in your own home, is more than enough reason for me to not even bother with electronics or any other valuables in the first place.

This is why I keep my REAL engagement ring and other valuables in a safe deposit box. I wear an exact duplicate which is CZ and Sterling Silver instead of the original, which is Diamond and Platinum. I know that it may seem unnecessary, and even paranoid of me to do it, but at least, I know that the original is safe, and that, if that situation arises and my ring is taken, that I can give it over without reservation, go home, and put on a duplicate of the one that was stolen.

It saves me the trouble of going through the process of filing police reports that will end up being a waste of my time since they'll never catch the person, and I get the last laugh as the scumbag who took it will think they hit the jackpot, when in all actuality, they've found fools gold.

QUOTE (Black Angel @ December 21, 2009 09:15 pm) Putting it in a suitcase won't make it harder to steal.. they'll just steal that as they hold a knife or a gun to your back. There are lot of screwed up, desperate people out there and between what can happen both in the street, and in your own home, is more than enough reason for me to not even bother with electronics or any other valuables in the first place.

This is why I keep my REAL engagement ring and other valuables in a safe deposit box. I wear an exact duplicate which is CZ and Sterling Silver instead of the original, which is Diamond and Platinum. I know that it may seem unnecessary, and even paranoid of me to do it, but at least, I know that the original is safe, and that, if that situation arises and my ring is taken, that I can give it over without reservation, go home, and put on a duplicate of the one that was stolen.

It saves me the trouble of going through the process of filing police reports that will end up being a waste of my time since they'll never catch the person, and I get the last laugh as the scumbag who took it will think they hit the jackpot, when in all actuality, they've found fools gold.
This is a pretty good idea.

I think if they made a case/skin that made a laptop, Ipod, PSP or DS look like some cheap knock-off of the product then criminals will less likely steal it.

I also don't bother carrying electronics out as well since I don't like attracting attention, and would not want people to steal it.

In theory, that might work, but it still wouldn't stop those who are desperate or need it to get cash for drugs. I know this because my uncle went and cut all of the plugs off of my great-grandmothers electronics to get some money for his habit. He's even stolen money and food from his own children for the same reason.

QUOTE (Black Angel @ January 01, 2010 07:57 pm) In theory, that might work, but it still wouldn't stop those who are desperate or need it to get cash for drugs. I know this because my uncle went and cut all of the plugs off of my great-grandmothers electronics to get some money for his habit. He's even stolen money and food from his own children for the same reason.
Why did he only cut the plugs off? Wouldn't he make more if he just pawned the entire electronic device?

It is sad how drugs can make people so desperate for cash.

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ January 05, 2010 01:36 pm) QUOTE (Black Angel @ January 01, 2010 07:57 pm) In theory, that might work, but it still wouldn't stop those who are desperate or need it to get cash for drugs. I know this because my uncle went and cut all of the plugs off of my great-grandmothers electronics to get some money for his habit. He's even stolen money and food from his own children for the same reason.
Why did he only cut the plugs off? Wouldn't he make more if he just pawned the entire electronic device?

It is sad how drugs can make people so desperate for cash.
I haven't the slightest clue. If I were to take a shot in the dark, I'd say because he wanted to "help" anyone willing to pay him to fix their electronics..

I really have no idea..

Back