Tools used to fix your computer.

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I usually use a few different siz philips head, and flat head screw driver to fix computers. I also wear a Anti-Static Wrist Strap to prevent Electrostatic Distrage. Tweezers are useful for puting in jumpers on mobos, or older IDE hard drive.

A can of Compress Air is useful for blowing dust, and dirt out of my keyboard, and monitor, but compress air is "Toxic" and "Expensive".

I still need to get a voltmeter to test electrical currents for the power supply and power outlets.

only tool I use on my computer is the compressed air to clean out my keyboard.

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ June 03, 2009 02:43 pm) I usually use a few different siz philips head, and flat head screw driver to fix computers. I also wear a Anti-Static Wrist Strap to prevent Electrostatic Distrage. Tweezers are useful for puting in jumpers on mobos, or older IDE hard drive.

A can of Compress Air is useful for blowing dust, and dirt out of my keyboard, and monitor, but compress air is "Toxic" and "Expensive".

I still need to get a voltmeter to test electrical currents for the power supply and power outlets.
The only reason the air is "toxic" is because the gas they use to pressurize it can suffocate you. Aside from that, I use some screw drivers, the anti-static thing is unneeded also. If you touch the CPU before you do anything else, your body, which is about 70% water, becomes the exact same static level as your computer, thus being safer than one of them anti-static thing. Tips from a magazine from awhile ago.

QUOTE (Stosh @ June 15, 2009 11:28 am) QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ June 03, 2009 02:43 pm) I usually use a few different siz philips head, and flat head screw driver to fix computers. I also wear a Anti-Static Wrist Strap to prevent Electrostatic Distrage. Tweezers are useful for puting in jumpers on mobos, or older IDE hard drive.

The only reason the air is "toxic" is because the gas they use to pressurize it can suffocate you. Aside from that, I use some screw drivers, the anti-static thing is unneeded also. If you touch the CPU before you do anything else, your body, which is about 70% water, becomes the exact same static level as your computer, thus being safer than one of them anti-static thing. Tips from a magazine from awhile ago.
Thanks for the info on the compress air. Now I know why some kids on the news died from sniffing compress air. Compress air is rather stinky, too, so I tend to just open a window or door when using it.

A lot of PC Books recommend that it is safer to use an Anti-Static Strap and Mat when working on a PC since you do not have to constantly touch the case after you rubbed your feet against carpet. Walking on carpet can cause a static build up, and if you forgot to touch your metal case then you might zap your computer parts with static.

Plus, it looks more professional to have parts on an Anti-Static mat then being scattered across a table, or the floor. You can't be blamed for static destroying a customers parts since all the precations for minimizing static discharge were done.

Touching the unpainted metal power supply is better since not all Cases are made of metal these days, and metal that is painted does not ground as well.

Note: Never touch a CPU chip without grounding yourself. It can fry your CPU which can be very expensive to replace.

You know, your right, I was typing that outta memory, I honestly cannot remember what I was thinking about, but it was about putting your body to the same charge as the computer. I will go back later on and list the source when I re-read it. I honestly don't remember what I was thinking of and I thank you for correcting me. Though it did start by me misreading what you posted.

Back