Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

Do you agree with the list? I couldn't agree more if I tried.

I was surprised to see the list place "good animation" on the number one spot. Actually, one of the main things that fans of western cartoons frown upon when it comes to anime is the animation. As far as animation in anime goes - it's pretty mediocre. Just think about all the times when a character is talking and they shift to another character who's just standing there or the back of their heads just so they don't need to animate the mouths. Think of all the times when they pan over a still image of the scenery and it's just that, a still image; nothing's moving. Now compare that to the fluid animation of a Disney movie in which almost every single frame is different and the background characters move while the foreground character is talking.

I was surprised to see the list place "good animation" on the number one spot. Actually, one of the main things that fans of western cartoons frown upon when it comes to anime is the animation. As far as animation in anime goes - it's pretty mediocre. Just think about all the times when a character is talking and they shift to another character who's just standing there or the back of their heads just so they don't need to animate the mouths. Think of all the times when they pan over a still image of the scenery and it's just that, a still image; nothing's moving. Now compare that to the fluid animation of a Disney movie in which almost every single frame is different and the background characters move while the foreground character is talking.

A little history knowledge makes it clear why that is. As far as I'm aware, most Japanese animation is done in one to two weeks, maybe less than a week. Where as Disney and other American animation is done over the course of months.

I agree and my list is:

1. It's not just for kids.
2. There are many genres
3. They all have subs most of the time

I agree and my list is:

1. It's not just for kids.
2. There are many genres
3. They all have subs most of the time

Tbh these can be said for Western Animation as well. The biggest misnomer about anime not being just for kids is based on a few factors. A: most of the popular series is targeted at kids in Japan, but when they come to the West, a lot of the subject matter isn't exactly kid-friendly. Shows like Bleach and Death Note were aired in America on a block called Adult Swim, despite the fact that the manga for both originated in the magazine Shonen Jump, a magazine targeted at kids, as per the title shonen. Then with second reason with B: the age group a lot of these anime fans making statements like "cartoons are for kids and anime is for adults", usually get into anime around the time where they stop watching the "kiddy" cartoons and see anime appealing to their growing "mature" tastes than the shows they're used to. Also most of those people try to use the "cartoons are for kids" statements as a way to try and elevate their hobby as a higher and more sophisticated art form than it probably is by ignoring cartoons that either have a multi-demographic appeal, or just an adult appeal, and try to say that anime aren't cartoons, despite the fact that by definition, anime are cartoons.

Totally agree with the list, the best thing about any story based media from Japan is that it is always inspired from historic, cultural and folk stories from all around the world. Nothing beats anime.

It always depends on the target group in the end.
You can easily see even elderly person read manga on a train here.

But the irony is that over here アニメ (anime) is considered any type of 2D animation, and 漫画 (manga) is considered any type of comic, regardless of the country of origin.
All while in the rest of the world they're both seen as a Japan-only thing, and call what's coming from anywhere else "cartoon" or "comic".

I'd say the main reason Japanese vs anything else can be distinguished from each other would be the general art style and sense of story telling.
However, both of which differ per series of the same country too, like how Jojo is very unlike Crayon Shin Chan for example.

When people try to compartmentalize an arbitrary label like anime always fascinates me. People come up with their definition that has several criteria, but in reality, to get that label, you just have to fulfill an incredibly specific criteria. The vast majority of the time, these labels have nothing to do with actual genre, but with things like: method of distribution, country of origin, or even what studio produced it.

Let's take a random web novel. If we delete it off the internet, and it's only available in print, it's no longer a web novel. It's just... a novel.

Outside of Japan, anime just means cartoon from Japan. So hypothetically if we found out some random cartoon (let's use Tom and Jerry as a hypothetical example) was Japanese, that makes it an anime. Did we change any of the content? No.

I think it's safe to say that when people create try to compartmentalize these arbitrary labels, is that it's usually based on lack of real exposure and leads to ignorance. A good example within the anime/manga community think they know what shounen mean, and get upset when you bring up a series like Nisekoi, because they think shounen = series exactly like Naruto and One Piece.

It is a bit entertaining when they say "just because it was in Shounen Jump doesn't mean it's shounen", despite the fact that literally what magazine it was printed in is the only criteria to earn that label.

A good example within the anime/manga community think they know what shounen mean ... they think shounen = series exactly like Naruto and One Piece.
Only shows they give only about 2 series and totally ignore the meaning behind the word itself.
Shounen (少年) means "young boy", while shoujo (少女) means "young girl".

Only shows they give only about 2 series and totally ignore the meaning behind the word itself.
Shounen (少年) means "young boy", while shoujo (少女) means "young girl".

That’s why it’s a bit silly when they deny that those are demographics, despite those literally being the definition of a demographic.

Though a lot of the anime community is pretty bad with not doing research on what words mean. They always cite that they know a guy who knows a guy...... who knows a guy’s cousin that learned Japanese and said it was true.

That’s why it’s a bit silly when they deny that those are demographics, despite those literally being the definition of a demographic.

Though a lot of the anime community is pretty bad with not doing research on what words mean. They always cite that they know a guy who knows a guy...... who knows a guy’s cousin that learned Japanese and said it was true.
So in other words, made up lies.

It actually reminds me to this:
dbsmisinfo1.png

dbsmisinfo2.png

dbsmisinfo3.png

The person making the claim may not be lying, but definitely whoever made stuff up. There's a lot of misinformation flowing around, but some things almost almost considered "common knowledge" (like shounen meaning super power action, and shoujo meaning romance), despite it never being true in the first place.

It's like those old urban legends in gaming that have mostly been debunked by now. It was usually a situation like how everyone had a convoluted chain of people who actually did these tasks. Though unlike gaming myths, a lot of these anime myths still persist.

The person making the claim may not be lying, but definitely whoever made stuff up. There's a lot of misinformation flowing around, but some things almost almost considered "common knowledge" (like shounen meaning super power action, and shoujo meaning romance), despite it never being true in the first place.

It's like those old urban legends in gaming that have mostly been debunked by now. It was usually a situation like how everyone had a convoluted chain of people who actually did these tasks. Though unlike gaming myths, a lot of these anime myths still persist.
It's not limited to just animation.
I heard in North America there's something like a "Chinese lucky cookie", and in all of the western world Chinese food is related to deep fried stuff.
Meanwhile in China (and also here in Japan among Chinese immigrants): "what the fuck is a lucky cookie!? And what Chinese food has ever been deep fried!?".

Edit:
Made the first sentence clearer.

Last edited:
Great! Well, thank you guys for sharing your reasons .
I can't think of 10 reasons of my own.

It's not limited to just animation.
I heard in North America there's something like a "Chinese lucky cookie", and in all of the western world Chinese food is related to deep fried stuff.
Meanwhile in China (and also here in Japan among Chinese immigrants): "what the fuck is a lucky cookie!? And what Chinese food has ever been deep fried!?".

Edit:
Made the first sentence clearer.

They’re called fortune cookies lrn2murica.

I never said it was limited to anime. Though I think a lot of Americans know fortune cookies aren’t Chinese, iirc they were made in San Fransisco, but it’s a staple of Chinese American food that it’s kind of ingrained into the culture.

I can’t think of any “Chinese” food that’s deep fried besides whatever they call gyoza, unless you’re mixing that up with stir fried.

They’re called fortune cookies lrn2murica.

I never said it was limited to anime. Though I think a lot of Americans know fortune cookies aren’t Chinese, iirc they were made in San Fransisco, but it’s a staple of Chinese American food that it’s kind of ingrained into the culture.

I can’t think of any “Chinese” food that’s deep fried besides whatever they call gyoza, unless you’re mixing that up with stir fried.
I meant the hard crust kind of deep fried.

Gyoza is most commonly pan fried (boiled and deep fried exist too).
Not saying that the food originates from Japan, it really originates from China (Chinese are called Jiaozi).
I mean the name of the food is from Japan, and only differ for having a more garlic-like flavour.

But basically many countries in Europe and Asia have their own variety of it.
I'm familiar with the varieties from Poland, Russia, Japan, and China.

Gyoza is delicious. I had that a couple years back.
Gyoza-II.jpg

Back