froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
An IHS report projects that global TV shipments are expected to fall from 238.3 million units in 2012 to 226.7 million in 2013. The decline from 2011 to 2012 was 7%, and although sales were expected to pick up slightly this year, the original estimate of a 2% decrease in shipments has now ballooned to a 5% decline, making this the second consecutive year of TV sales falling significantly.

Read More

I think the main reason for the decline is streaming video which can be watched on a desktop pc, laptop, tablet, and other non-TV device, so more people are choosing to use their PC and mobile devices to watch Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Crunchy Rolls, pirated videos from Bittorent, and YouTube rather than buying a TV which they need to connect to their PC, tablet, or smartphone to watch streaming video.

Also, TV service is more expensive these days, but the shows on TVs are bad like reality TV, cheesy sitcoms, filler episodes, and re-runs of older shows which most people watch, so more people are choosing not to own or watch  Cable TV.

More people are also choosing to live with their parents, friends, and family longer to save money, so they may not need a TV because they are living with their friends and family who already have a TV which they can use.

I agree, it is not a huge decline for 2013 which is 5%, but if you include 2012 when the decline started at 7% it would be 12% which is still small, but noticeable.

Some people may also be watching Netflix on projector with Netflix App pre-installed on it like the 3M Roku Projector which has a built-in Roku stick which is compatible with Netflix, and other free and cheap media streaming services like Hulu or Crackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOSkhlnaDCE

All-in-One desktops which have a monitor built-in which are 20 inches and bigger in size could also double as a TV for casual TV watchers, or people who are fine with a 20 inch TV.

There are also PC monitors which now have the Android operating system which has a Netflix App, so people who don't watch Cable TV could get by with just an Android PC monitor which can run Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube in Android.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZFy1DEEKb0

Wow I am so happy!!!
Anyway, the truth is that I have 4 years without opening the TV and am proud about it.
For me it is already dead as a technology.
Youtube replaced it :3

I'm sure as Tv sales fall, PC monitor sales rise. We will always need screens in one way or another.

I think PC monitor sales are falling as well since fewer people are buying PCs, and laptops which have external monitor ports, so there would also be fewer PC monitor sales from new PC buyers. Plus, monitors last a long time in my experience, and most people can get a free or cheap monitor by asking around town from buisnesses, schools, and thrift stores if they have any free or cheap monitors they don't use anymore.

Maybe people thesedays are learning that a lot of the time they spend watching TV, or in front of a screen is wasted, and they could use the time they have better by getting an extra part time job, starting a small buisness, cooking their own meals more often to save money, or growing fruits and vegetables to eat more healthy rather than buying overpriced food at stores.

Although, Tablets, and smartphone sales continue to grow because of cheaper tablets and smartphones between the $25-199 price range which could convince the poor and money savers to buy a tablet or smartphone to use as a PC to check e-mail, watch YouTube, and use social networks instead of buying a $400 PC. There are also the rich, and trendy people who want to get the latest iPhone, and iPad to be part of the Apple club, and use Apps which are exclusive to the Apple iOS App store like Infinity blade, iMovie, and Garage band.

I am not that surprised. The whole TV thing is getting stale as all the programs are the same and things like NetFlix are cheaper.

I heard people are also complaining of Netflix being boring because it does not have Live sports like football, and Netflix basically shows most of the same shows and movies from TV networks and channels which they saw, or are not interested in.

I think the future of video would be crowdsourced shows and movies where people pre-order/fund the video if they like the script, and the show and movie gets made if there are enough pre-orders for the show or movie, and the funders are the first to get a stream, DVD, or Blu-Ray of the show or movie before anyone else.

Indeed, Reality TV is everywhere even on niche channels like the Food Network have reality TV shows which are not as useful as instructional cooking shows where you learn to cook While food reality shows usually show angry restaurant owners complaining about losing customers because they hired bad staff members which are unprofessional.

I think MTV also switch mostly to Reality shows like Teen Mom, Jershey Shore, and Cribs which is a shame since they could use MTV to show less popular music videos which are not popular on YouTube, Radio, or iTunes from talented, but lesser known singers. I also miss  old MTV cartoons like Daria which were great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI4YaLJKFw4

Also, parents have the spending power, so they may not be buying TVs for their home or kid's room because of poor choices TV channels make in Kids Shows which seems not as educational as the 80s-90s with Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, The Magic School Bus, Arthur,  Bill Nye, and Reading Rainbow.

See, I always thought that Cribs was sort of an homage to horrible spending habits, and don't even get me started on Teen Mom, etc.

And regarding the last sentence in your post, that is one the MAJOR reasons I consider myself lucky to be an 80's baby. Not just in terms of the programming you mentioned, but also tv, the music, movies and also being able to appreciate how far ahead of his time George Orwell really was.

P.S. Daria is the shit. Thanks for posting that, Froggy. :)

I guess when the more expensive, up to date models come down in price such as the 4k screens, there will be a slight increase in shipments. I guess people are looking for more inexpensive options rather then spending £2000 etc on a screen.

I agree, people are looking for less expensive options for TVs and entertainment in general. Plus, there are more free and cheap forms of entertainment these days like Free Newspapers which you get at the library, free to play games on phones and tablets, free public domain music, YouTube, Crackle, and Crunchy rolls. Social networking like Facebook, Google+, and Myspace are also free.

The library is also a free form of entertainment where people can watch TV (with headphones) in a cubicle. I used to watch VHS and DVD tapes at the library when I am bored, or use the library's desktop PCs with high speed internet, and a pair of headphones to watch YouTube videos during lunch break, before class, and after school. A lot of class rooms also let students use computers for surfing the web after class, or before class if the room is not being used for teaching.

Also, watching videos on a 7 to 10 inch $200-300 tablet 1 to 2 feet away from a users head is good enough now because tablets have higher resolution screens, and you can plug in a pair of stereo speakers in the headphone jack for better sound.

Back