Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

Dan Clancy shared a letter with Twitch Partners and Affiliates in South Korea noting that, due to increasing costs and declining profitability, the platform will shut down all services in the Republic of Korea in February 2024. The country's ISP service fees proved financially burdensome, forcing Twitch to find workarounds like peer-to-peer sourcing and capping quality at 720p. South Korea has a variety of domestic streaming platforms, such as AfreecaTV and Tving, which serve as competition for international services. Twitch has been popular in Korea, especially in the League of Legends esports scene, so many users were shocked to hear about the end of services.

Dan Clancy shared a letter with Twitch Partners and Affiliates in South Korea noting that, due to increasing costs and declining profitability, the platform will shut down all services in the Republic of Korea in February 2024. The country's ISP service fees proved financially burdensome, forcing Twitch to find workarounds like peer-to-peer sourcing and capping quality at 720p. South Korea has a variety of domestic streaming platforms, such as AfreecaTV and Tving, which serve as competition for international services. Twitch has been popular in Korea, especially in the League of Legends esports scene, so many users were shocked to hear about the end of services.
Seems like a strange move. I get that the network costs are high, but it is also a massive esports and streaming-focused culture. This seems to indicate that they are either getting beat by different services or have simply been unable to create a successful business model for the local area.

It's going to hit the Esports scene big because many of the top pros for many games are south korean.

Ya, I am curious as to how this will go. Nearly all the largest events (like LoL Worlds) are very heavily involved in the Korean market. YouTube keeps trying to make it work, but I wonder if someone else will try to jump in.

This is unfortunate news for Twitch Korean streamers who want to stream their channel to foreign countries where Korean live streaming sites like AfreecaTV are less popular.

It was sad to hear that Twitch was shutting down in South Korea and as has been said, will affect e-sports quite a bit being that most of the professional players are from South Korea.

I remember not too long after the announcement, someone who was live who lives in South Korea when the news broke and they just walked away upset knowing that was their source of income and how they make a living.

It was sad to hear that Twitch was shutting down in South Korea and as has been said, will affect e-sports quite a bit being that most of the professional players are from South Korea.

I remember not too long after the announcement, someone who was live who lives in South Korea when the news broke and they just walked away upset knowing that was their source of income and how they make a living.

Sounds like they need nord vpn!

Back