Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Fake/bot accounts that is.

As reported by The New York Times, the reasoning for Twitter deleting the accounts stems from extensive social media fraud, where some users inflate their own follower count by using automated fake accounts in order to bolster their status on the service.

So on July 12th, tomorrow, most Twitter users will most likely see some or lots of followers suddenly vanish. Should you run a service that takes money to make fake accounts to boost twitter followers, best start looking for a new line of work.

The real reason: people get fed up by the policies becoming more totalitarian with every change, more and more censorship being enforced on everyone, more and more people getting shadowbanned for having an own opinion (because that is controversial in the current age!), etc.

I stopped using Twitter for these reasons last year, except I didn't delete my account, I put to private instead.
Just in case somebody decides to make a new account under my name.

The real reason: people get fed up by the policies becoming more totalitarian with every change, more and more censorship being enforced on everyone, more and more people getting shadowbanned for having an own opinion (because that is controversial in the current age!), etc.

I stopped using Twitter for these reasons last year, except I didn't delete my account, I put to private instead.
Just in case somebody decides to make a new account under my name.

I'm sure some legit accounts will vanish, but I'm sure most of the take downs were spam accounts.

Well, I don't believe spam-bots deserve accounts at all. That's why we delete them even in AMF.

I am kinda surprised though. Usually people don't delete them to show off their stats.

On a forum I recently took (co-)ownership of had only 2 spambots in the past 3 years, and all their posts got removed before anyone else could notice.
Now I'm developing a new forum system from scratch with the frontend being made in Vue.js, which spambots can't view (and sadly neither humans can view while browsing through a command line web browser, and luckily neither humans can view while browsing through IE11 or older).

On a forum I recently took (co-)ownership of had only 2 spambots in the past 3 years, and all their posts got removed before anyone else could notice.
Now I'm developing a new forum system from scratch with the frontend being made in Vue.js, which spambots can't view (and sadly neither humans can view while browsing through a command line web browser, and luckily neither humans can view while browsing through IE11 or older).

I pity anyone using IE to browse the internet.

IE is a blight to humanity!

Back