UK government once again threatens to ditch Microsoft Office for Free Open Source Office programs

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
The UK government is once again outlining plans to swap Microsoft’s Office software for open source alternatives. Ministers aim to save millions of pounds by moving away from the popular Office suite of applications. The Press Association reports that around £200 million ($331 million) has been spent on the software since 2010. Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude is expected to outline the plans during a speech later today. "The software we use in government is still supplied by just a few large companies," Maude will say. "A tiny oligopoly dominates the marketplace.

Read More

I have been using OpenOffice and LibreOffice which are both free office suites for many year, and only paid for MS Office 2007 because I bought it for a very low price because of a student discount. The free office programs are good enough for my needs.

This is a good thing, and I too have ditched MSO for Open Office and I haven't looked back..

MS has gotten long in the tooth and aside from their operating system, I couldn't understand what had changed between each version of MSO, that justified me buying each   upgrade..

So I decided to go woth Open Office and that was it..

Back