UK time to move 1 hour forward?

Awards
Credits
At least it's in consideration.
And no, I don't mean what has been happening from every March to October, I mean the entire of the UK time.
Normally, from the last Sunday in October to the last Sunday in March, the timezone in the UK is UTC+0 (GMT - Greenwich Mean Time)
From the last Sunday in March, to the last Sunday in October, it is UTC+1 (BST - British Summer Time)

However, if this three-year trial takes place, then, the October - March timezone will be UTC+1 for the "winter time", and UTC+2 for the "summer time".

If you live in the south-east of England, as I do, this will take some getting used to, in terms of sunrise and sunset.
The current range of sunrise and sunset times is roughly:
Sunrise = 4:40 am UTC+1 in the Summer, 8:10 am UTC+0 in the winter
Sunset = 3:50 pm UTC+0 in the winter, 9:20 pm UTC+1 in the summer

During the trial, if it happens:
Sunrise will be 5:40 am, so not as early, but in the winter, it will not rise until 9:10 am.
As for Sunset, in the winter, it will only go as early as 4:50 pm, BUT in the summer, we will have a rather late sunset of around 10:20 pm.

There is some controversy in Scotland, because there are fears it will affect workers, and possibly increase the risk of traffic accidents.
The sunrise and sunset times are already pretty awful.
Take Lerwick, for example:
In the winter, the sun doesn't rise until as late as 9:10 am, and sunset is as early as just 2:56 pm.
In the summer, however, the sunrise is as early as 3:38 am, and sunset is as late as 10:34 pm.

Can you imagine what it'd be like if the entire UK time moved forward 1 hour?
Just think about it in the winter:
It's 10 am, and ... the sun is yet to rise. Or, it's only 2 pm, and the sun has already started to set.
And then, in the summer:
The sunrise is 4:48 am, which is no different than what it'd be like about early May, but... what about when it sets? Well, civil dusk is as late as 12:26 am, the next morning. Therefore, as late as about 12:26 am, there's still just enough sunlight for doing activities. So if the clocks are moved forward, the sunset will be as late as 11:34 pm, meaning it could still be pretty bright outside at, and well after midnight.

Also, here's an article on it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15490249

Although I only skimmed through most of your post and didn't read the article (kinda got a few things to do, heh), that sounds outrageous. A bit of daylight around midnight just sounds crazy, that would mess up my body clock pretty badly to be honest. I can see how some people aren't too happy with this, heh.

What that's the point of this? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

EDIT: Just realized how incomprehensible this is^

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by how the Scottish are reacting, this probably won't go through.
Although your maths is wrong, TUK.
Take Lerwick, for example:
In the winter, the sun doesn't rise until as late as 9:10 am, and sunset is as early as just 2:56 pm.
In the summer, however, the sunrise is as early as 3:38 am, and sunset is as late as 10:34 pm.
If the clocks are put forward by an hour, the sun will indeed not rise until 10am, but it will not set until almost 4pm. You don't lose an hour on both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait.... let me get this straight.
Winter: Sunrise = 9:10 am, Sunset = 2:56 pm
Summer: Sunrise = 3:38 am, Sunset = 10:34 pm

If trial takes place:
Winter: Sunrise = 10:10 am, Sunset = 3:56 pm
Summer: Sunrise = 4:48 am, Sunset = 11:34 pm

That's better .. somehow I was taking an hour off, instead of adding it on... <__<

3:38 A.M. is sunrise in the UK sometimes? Holy crap. I think I'm farther south than you TUK, I don't think I even get sunrise that early.

Well, Lerwick is around 60 degrees North (and less than 2 degrees West)
Where I live, is about 50-51 degrees North, and I'm literally just 3,397 feet from the Greenwhich Meridian (in otherwords, my precise location, that is, where I am sitting in my bedroom, is just 53.4 arcseconds to the east, in otherwords, 534/36000 of a degree, or 0.01483 degrees.

What latitude are you?

3:38 A.M. is sunrise in the UK sometimes? Holy crap. I think I'm farther south than you TUK, I don't think I even get sunrise that early.
The further north you are, the earlier the sunrise and later the sunset (i.e. the longer the day) in the summer.
Inside the Arctic Circle, the sun never sets during the summer. But you pay for that in the Winter by having much shorter days (in the Arctic Circle, the sun never rises in the Winter).

Back