Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A man has turned himself in to authorities after being accused of stealing a hand-held video game system and accessories from the casket of a Clymer teen killed in a sport utility vehicle crash on Christmas Day.

Jody Lynn Bennett, 37, of Mentcle, grabbed the items from the casket of 17-year-old Bradley “Boog” David-McCombs Jr. during a viewing Monday night at the Rairigh Funeral Home in Montgomery Township, police said.

McCombs died when he lost control of his sport utility vehicle along Route 553 in Cherryhill Township at about 9 a.m. on Saturday, police said.

Bennett is accused of stealing a Game Boy, Game Boy Light and three games from the casket during a public visitation.

"They confronted him. They were about to get the Game Boy back but not the games so they subsequently called police," said Sgt. Michael Schmidt.

McCombs’ family members said the man fled the scene after being confronted.

The suspect's aunt, Dianna Bennett, said her family is friends with the McCombs and mortified by the incident.

"I sort of figured they would be looking for him," Dianna Bennett said Wednesday. "I wasn't there that night, but we all went over yesterday to the funeral home."

Dianna Bennett said her nephew "has been into drugs, he's into alcohol. He's just messed up."

The coroner’s office said McCombs left his house to pick up a relative for a holiday gathering when he sheared a utility pole, causing the SUV to flip on the snow-covered road.

source

just wrong.

Stealing from the dead may not be a good idea, because there's a good chance that someone's gonna find you.

Um... DERP. I don't really have anything to say to this. It's weird, but not nearly as wrong as stealing from those cancer kids. This is... this is... it's just odd.

what's odd? the grave robber or the person taking video games to the grave with him?
Hmm... Good point. I guess both. When I die, I don't want to be buried with anything; all my stuff is going to my kids. The grave robbing is also weird because it's just... weird.

update:

Jody Bennett of Mentcle, Pa., whose coffin-burgling of a Game Boy back in December managed to get the gaming handheld described - for purposes of criminal charges and possibly the first time ever - as a "venerated object," got two months of probation for his ugly deed. He's still going to jail, but on unrelated charges.

Bennett, 37 [pictured] pleaded guilt to institutional vandalism and theft on Thursday, in connection with the theft of a Game Boy, a Game Boy Light and three games from the casket of Bradley David-McCombs Jr., who died in a car accident on Christmas Day. Charges of "abuse of a corpse" and "intentional desecration of a venerated object" were dropped.

For that, Bennett got two years' probation, but don't worry, he's still headed to the slammer. Bennett got 30 days to six months in jail on separate drunken driving and drug possession charges.

Bennett told David-McCombs' family that he felt "horrible for what I did and I apologize."

Bradley David-McCombs Jr., 17, died when his sport utility vehicle flipped over on Christmas morning. Bennett stole the items at a viewing held at a local funeral parlor. Bennett knew the family of the boy. His aunt had described him as "just messed up."

The incident took place in Montgomery Township, Pa., which is about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

source

may he drop the soap in the shower.

I honestly find it weird, but it's a crime I guess, so I'd say up to a year is fair.

Wtf? Okay you cannot get more greedy than that. I wonder if the dead's spirit went inside the gaming console.. At least the thief would have suffered horrible nightmares and hauntings...

It is weird, but perhaps the family of the deceased had similar beliefs to the Egyptians, where they believed that death was just the beginning to a journey, and that the deceased would need their possessions on the other side.

Unfortunately, their resting places were also raided for their possessions.

Honestly though, I hope that his conscience eats at him while he sits in jail.

Back