Update to Windows 8.1 coming this spring with more hardware options for slower devices, benefits for

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
VP Joe Belfiore, at an event this afternoon, has announced that an update is coming to Windows 8.1 this Spring, which will offer more hardware options, benefits for non-touch users and some changes to the user interface.

It brings support to devices at lower price points that have as little as 1GB of RAM and 16GB storage, enables app launching and switching via the taskbar and a new mouse user interface with new options for closing apps and right-clicking to get to the Start screen.

Read More

It's nice that this Update will make Windows 8.1 usable on devices with only 1GB of RAM, and 16GB of storage, and 8.1 will work better on non-touchscreen computers.

I wonder would future updates make 8.1 usable on computers with 512MB of RAM, and 8GB of storage like cheaper and older Google Android devices running Android 4.4 Kitkat which can run on devices with only 512MB of RAM, and 8GB of storage.

I honestly don't care about W8 Updates anymore. I'm going to use W7 or XP instead.

I agree if you have XP and 7, you might as well stick to them instead until you replace your PC with a new PC which may work faster with newer operating systems.

This Updates is good for people who are stuck with Windows 8.1 like someone who bought a cheap Windows 8.1 computer from a store which no longer sell new Windows 7 PC. There are some $299 Windows 8.1 laptops with 2GB of RAM, slower CPU, 320GB hard drive, and a 12 inch screen, and this Update would make these cheaper Windows 8.1 laptops faster, and more usable for everyday tasks like web browsing, office work, casual gaming, watching video, and simple video editing.

I think future Windows 8.1 updates will slowly turn Windows 8.1 back to Windows 7 and XP , but 8.1 would not have the animations, and Glossy see-through desktop graphics effects in Windows 7 which slowed down slower computers with slower CPU, slower video cards, and less RAM.

Back