Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
I'm not one to post rumors as they usually turn out to be false or part of the truth, but today it has come to light that Sony maybe working on PlayStation 4.5. This might be true since Sony tends to follow Nintendo's lead which Nintendo did this already with the New Nintendo 3DS.

If sources on Kotaku are true, then PS4.5 or PS4K would include an upgraded GPU/CPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR.

If this turns out to be true, it could shake up the market as that means that any games made for PS4.5 may not work on PS4 and would shatter the whole meaning of console cycle length.

As someone who doesn't own a PS4 yet, I might be happy that I held out this long. Your thoughts?

update 3/25

So PS4.5 is confirmed!

So a possible update (none of this confirmed yet):

It's being called Neo, and the upgraded hardware will not have games of its own and all games will have the ability to make use the new hardware or just stick to the PS4 basics. The known upgrades:

Original PS4 NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

The Know also reports that this PS4.5 will release (not confirmed!) later this year.

E3 can not get here soon enough.

Last edited:
Little bit worried about this, if the games that come out after its release do not work for the PS4 I own - it'll leave a bad taste in my mouth. Honestly, if it happens I might just invest in a good gaming PC so I don't have to worry about those kinds of things.

End of the day that gaming pc or custom built system always wins :) and of story full stop

I wasn't happy with Nintendo releasing the N3DS where I've barely broken in my regular 3DS. Hopefully Sony won't screw its fanbase and since this rumor came out at the end of the day Friday, hopefully there will be clearer answers tomorrow.

This kind of stinks for people who bought a PS4, and find out they may not be able to play future games which are exclusive for the PS4.5.

I think PS4.4 will cause more people to think about gaming on PC . You can at least lower the video setting quality like 720P set to medium video quality to play newer PC at a lower visual setting if you can't afford to install a new video card, RAM, or CPU to play the game at 4K or in VR. But, with PS4.5, you need to buy a whole new console just to play a few exclusive games in 4K.

This kind of stinks for people who bought a PS4, and find out they may not be able to play future games which are exclusive for the PS4.5.

I think PS4.4 will cause more people to think about gaming on PC . You can at least lower the video setting quality like 720P set to medium video quality to play newer PC at a lower visual setting if you can't afford to install a new video card, RAM, or CPU to play the game at 4K or in VR. But, with PS4.5, you need to buy a whole new console just to play a few exclusive games in 4K.

hopefully there is never a 4k requirement as I doubt I will own a 4k tv for at least 3-5 years.

hopefully there is never a 4k requirement as I doubt I will own a 4k tv for at least 3-5 years.

I agree, it would be disappointing if there is a 4K TV requirement.

I doubt, I own a 4K TV in over 5 years unless my current TV breaks, and no company is making 1080P HDTVs.

I think it is too soon to be releasing 4K consoles because there are not a lot of gamers who have 4K TVs. Most people still own 1080P and 720P TVs because they are cheaper.

Hopefully, game makers will continue to release PS3 and PS4 versions of games, and not just release PS4.5 games.

Last edited:
First post updated with a confirming PS4.5 video by The Know! Click on the video and view the video comments for source articles and a detailed break down.

So yeah, PS4 buyers you have been screwed over while those who waited (me) are in a prime spot. If you just bought your PS4, I hope you have your receipt yet.

So a possible update (none of this confirmed yet):

It's being called Neo, and the upgraded hardware will not have games of its own and all games will have the ability to make use the new hardware or just stick to the PS4 basics. The known upgrades:

Original PS4 NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

The Know also reports that this PS4.5 will release (not confirmed!) later this year.

E3 can not get here soon enough.

Sucks without money

Back