Vector Shenanigan Guy

Some of the vectors, I would like to see you make them. Some are simple shapes while others seem to be combined shapes. Do you happen to remember how you made the more complex shapes?

Yup. With a few shapes I would use the pathfinder tools in Illustrator to help make things easy. A good example of this is with the Bob Omb's key/winder. I started off with two big circles and a small rectangle to connect it to Bob Omb's body. They using the pen tool I drew in some curves to connect the big circles and the rectangle. That's when I combined them and then cleaned up the path by removing unnecessary anchor points and then converted them all to bezier and touched up the anchor handles.

Then after that I simply made two circles and position them where the holes would be and basically "hole punched" them.

For something like the Goomba's head, what I did was got a rectangle and then put an anchor point at the top, and then one at the bottom, and then one either side. I then morphed it to resemble a kind of triangular shape. Then I looked at a reference image to take notice of more detailed points (such as the little upwards dip at the bottom of Goomba's head) and added a few additional anchor points (about two to go with the existing point at the bottom) to get the curving right.

To get any of the complicated shapes, a combination of using a primitive shape and then just morphing it and combing it with other primitive shapes seems to work well. At other times when using a primitive shape will just be too bothersome (for mouths and eyebrows especially, or anywhere in which a line-based approach would be more efficient) I just use the pen tool and mark the specific points (corners of the mouth, etc.)

I haven't been doing enough incremental saving to show each individual step (there's a lot of tweaking) but I went from the first Goomba to the second Goomba using this strategy. I drew a basic outline from memory and then looked at an image to put more points in. By rights I should be looking at an image from the word go but hey, I was sleepy at the time.

EDIT:

And here's a finished version of all of them, in one easy-to-view picture.

gallery_19_35_39129.png

I might need to work on the shading again, I'm not sure. I like the shading style, but the way I shaded Blooper's arms and tentacles seemed a bit inefficient to me.

Next steps? Adding facial expressions and basically creating "sprite sheets" of sorts for each character. Then with that, I might try animating a few basic walk positions and so on.

Why I'm doing this, I have no idea, because I have no intentions on pursuing any of this as a career (primarily because my skillset does not extend beyond ripping off Nintendo characters in the form of simple cartoons) but eh, it's enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
These look great Dan! love all the shading you've added....but I swear that blooper's eyes.....are staring through my soul....

That's a pretty sorry lookin' Shy Guy you got there.
I guess it could use a... coat o' paint.

WELL WHAT'RE WE WAITIN' FOR???

Gonna paint our Shy Guy
Gonna paint it soon
We ain't um... um....errr....hmmm.... we ain't... high?
Well maybe.... higher than the .... moon..................... I'm sorry, that was just awful.

It's all YOUR fault....... Kirby_Z.

Just one thing about Shy Guy, the distance from his belt to his mask just seems a little too large...
Though they are awesome. :)

Just one thing about Shy Guy, the distance from his belt to his mask just seems a little too large...
Though they are awesome. :)

Yeah, I actually thought about that as well while I was drawing some extra views for him. Though that said, I based it off a few drawings I had done in Shenanigan Guy. Though I'm sure I could shrink him down a little bit just to make him look that extra bit better.

I've never heard of this shenanigan guy... But your work is amazing, I can't wait to see what becomes of these.

Back